Upgrades on 2 door

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
My boss has a 2 door JK sport (2008- islander) and is looking to build it up and gift it to his 16 year old son .

He’s asked what he should do to set it up for mild off roading and good on road manners.

We discussed a 2” lift, 33” all terrain tires (his idea) — Ko2s maybe ?, sliders, oil pan and trans skid, trimmed fenders (likes look), air compressor, and bumpers .

Thoughts?

Does he need C gussets, driveshafts, regear?

What is your favorite setup? Will be his sons daily and they plan on building together .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wrbrd

Certain things like cosmetic parts can be bought with a budget but a suspension ,tires,and brakes are the major parts that if they fail, a life could be lost. Those are the foundation for a vehicle. With that being said I own a 2 door rubicon. I recommend: Tires - ko3, suspension kit- metal cloak 2.5” rock sport lift ,if possible a long arm because lower center of gravity is all round better.Metal cloak has got the best ride quality but you can upgrade the kit later as the skill levels increase. This is going to be driven by your son, so safety 1st. Brakes-Power stop brake kit with the calipers but if you can I would buy him a big brake kit with master cylinder,calipers and all,TeraFlex makes a great one. If you want to save some money on name brand and quality products research what all is in a parts list when bought new and shop on Craigslist & Facebook market place. The shopping centers for men. Have fun with it and try to do the installations together for memories with your son.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bouche03

I love that OP asks for opinions for a mild build and we have guys telling him to do a long arm...

Seriously? Mild offroading-all this needs is the EVO leveling kit, some good shocks (Ranchos), put him on 33" SST Pros and send the kid on his way.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Certain things like cosmetic parts can be bought with a budget but a suspension ,tires,and brakes are the major parts that if they fail, a life could be lost. Those are the foundation for a vehicle. With that being said I own a 2 door rubicon. I recommend: Tires - ko3, suspension kit- metal cloak 2.5” rock sport lift ,if possible a long arm because lower center of gravity is all round better.Metal cloak has got the best ride quality but you can upgrade the kit later as the skill levels increase. This is going to be driven by your son, so safety 1st. Brakes-Power stop brake kit with the calipers but if you can I would buy him a big brake kit with master cylinder,calipers and all,TeraFlex makes a great one. If you want to save some money on name brand and quality products research what all is in a parts list when bought new and shop on Craigslist & Facebook market place. The shopping centers for men. Have fun with it and try to do the installations together for memories with your son.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Long arm for 2.5” of lift and metalcloak has the best ride quality? Lol lay off the crack pipe.

OP, don’t listen to this guy. At all.

Exodus 4x4

Most 2 doors that come by get this setup when starting out and they love it.

Rancho 2” sport lift with 9000’s
Synergy wheel spacers
JKS Quick disconnects

Boudica

I've got 35 KO2s on my 2014 2 door mall-crawler and it's a comfortable -for a Jeep- DD. No need to cut the fenders, but then I'm not rock crawling. Up at the top of my list is an air compressor, and quality recovery gear.

rubiDave

To be honest I wouldn't recommend putting too much money into upgrades. I think that model has a D30 front, 3.21 gears and a 3.8L. For "mild" off roading (who knows what that means to him) he s/b able to get by as is with some decent tires. Ditch the plastic side steps, find some Rubi-rail take-offs or cheap sliders, maybe a budget boost or spacer leveling kit if he likes the looks. There are plenty of take-off BFG M/T 32s already mounted and balanced on craigslist for next to nothing. Drivetrain is already a dog and 33s might be pushing it. Make him a deal on your single compressor then upgrade yourself to a dual.
Assuming this guy hasn't done much offroad and this is a starter project. If he catches the bug he'll probably want to upgrade his base platform sooner than later. Also most 16 yo kids around my neighborhood wouldn't be too excited about driving an 11 year old vehicle - just sayin.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Lose the Islander hood decals and go with what Bubba said. And really doubt the kid is going to grenade the D30. Rubi rails are good idea also.Not sure who gets to pick what year their GIFT was built. :naw:

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
If he’s like most teenage drivers, the Jeep will be wrecked within a couple of years. I know because I was a teenaged driver once. I wouldn’t put much money into mods. Agree with rubiDave.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
All great advice .. thanks guys . Islander decals are off already . Sounds like 33s, a leveling kit or sport lift, and some ranchos and spacers is a great start .

Kid is apparently excited about the Jeep despite age so that’s cool . I got a 10 year old hand me down accord when I was 16 so a wrangler would be been sweet .

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Make him a deal on your single compressor then upgrade yourself to a dual.

No such luck he already has a portable. This single just keeps chugging along (slowly) . I’m gonna perpetually be the slowest in the group airing up .. Might have to copy your design so I can drink a beer while it airs up all 4

rubiDave

All great advice .. thanks guys . Islander decals are off already . Sounds like 33s, a leveling kit or sport lift, and some ranchos and spacers is a great start .

Kid is apparently excited about the Jeep despite age so that’s cool . I got a 10 year old hand me down accord when I was 16 so a wrangler would be been sweet .

They should sign up on WAL, get educated and make their own decisions.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Just gonna add a few pics for reference, like I said I did a set of 4 door springs and 4dr stock shocks (ranchos are nice but not needed) set of rear stock sway bar links up front. Quick disconects are cheap and good to have. This is with a set of 33s first without cut fenders then I cut them. It doesn't take many components to set up, easy to get him to start to work on it. Don't have to mess with control arms or brake lines or anything and it supports 33s just fine

FB_IMG_1554470542358.jpg

FB_IMG_1554470557132.jpg

FB_IMG_1554470566602.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom