Pr60 brakes won't bleed...please help

Fury22

Hey guys, I've bled the brakes on my new pr60s a dozen times, getting fluid and no air. With the jeep off, the pressure builds and holds, but when with the jeep running the pedal is weak and eventually goes to the floor. The brakes work enough to stop the jeep but is definitely not right
I'm at my offroad shop now and they bled them, with a computer, and still have same issue. I believe they just tried to bleed the master cylinder too to no avail. This happen to any of you? Its a 2015 jku sport, had no issues before the swap. Thanks as always!

Fury22

Any chance that it's a bad master cylinder internally bypassing ?

Can't imagine it would be. They just bled it. Its only got 40k on it. Would it just randomly fail? We didn't let it run dry during the swap. Just weird that it would hold pressure with it not running but then lose pressure with it running...

Fury22

Think we narrowed it down to a bad caliper...they pinched off the soft line on all 4 and the front driver one loses all the pedal pressure when released...waiting for call back from dynatrac. Hope we finally found the problem but really sucks that a brand new caliper would be bad.

A.J.

Think we narrowed it down to a bad caliper...they pinched off the soft line on all 4 and the front driver one loses all the pedal pressure when released...waiting for call back from dynatrac. Hope we finally found the problem but really sucks that a brand new caliper would be bad.

Looses pressure but not leaking? Hmmm. Just asking so don’t take offense but the bleeder is on the top of the caliper not the bottom right? I have seen new calipers that were bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fury22

Looses pressure but not leaking? Hmmm. Just asking so don’t take offense but the bleeder is on the top of the caliper not the bottom right? I have seen new calipers that were bad though.

Yep they are all on top. Bled a dozen times with new fluid coming out of all of them. My father was a mechanic for 30 years and its perplexing him too. And no there are no visible leaks. Its just bizzare..
Maybe one of the piston seals is bad? And no offense taken haha

A.J.

Yep they are all on top. Bled a dozen times with new fluid coming out of all of them. My father was a mechanic for 30 years and its perplexing him too. And no there are no visible leaks. Its just bizzare..
Maybe one of the piston seals is bad? And no offense taken haha

Ask dynatrac what calipers they use. Should be able to find one locally and swap it out. Rare but it does happen.

A.J.

If you haven’t already you might go find a gravel lot and cycle the abs a couple times to see if that changes anything. Trapped air can drive you crazy!

Fury22

If you haven’t already you might go find a gravel lot and cycle the abs a couple times to see if that changes anything. Trapped air can drive you crazy!

Yea im waiting for them to call me back. Ill give that a try, assuming you mean just brake hard to get the abs to kick on?

98XJ06LJ

Correct me if I'm wrong......

If the caliper piston seal is bad, meaning fluid was being allowed past the piston. There is no return line back to the master cylinder so there should be fluid leaking from the caliper. If it were bad. Right??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

98XJ06LJ

You are correct however sometimes air can be pulling in past the seal but not leak fluid. Or just really stubborn trapped air.

Sounds like a frustrating gremlin! I have come to find out after years of owning multiple vehicles that anything built or designed by man can and will fail at some point. Sometimes fresh out of the box. Makes it hard to trouble shoot. Best of luck, hope you get it resolved.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fury22

Talked to steve and he said to get it bled by the dealership...whic i hate but since they are computerised and more complex systems maybe they will have the key. If not then ill know its the caliper...thanks everyone for the input

maskale

When I couldn't get mine to bleed I got another cap, drilled and tapped for 1/4NPT, then threaded in a fitting and pressed system to 15-20psi. this along with ABS actuation got the air out.

jdofmemi

When I couldn't get mine to bleed I got another cap, drilled and tapped for 1/4NPT, then threaded in a fitting and pressed system to 15-20psi. this along with ABS actuation got the air out.

Where did you cap it, and what did you use to pressurize it?
Sounds like a good idea.

maskale

I got another reservoir cap, the plastic one, I drilled and tap that. Then pressurized with air, just remember to not too empty the reservoir.

Top Bottom