Axle questions...

GasStationGuy

So this could be a stupid question but here it goes. I want to install lockers and reduce my gear ratio soon but I am on a tight budget right now. I want to know if its possible to pick up some front and rear rubi axles with lockers and install them on my 2008 X. What would this involve? Is it worh it/cheaper? I see stock rubi axles for sale for decent prices now and again and I wasnt sure if this could be an option for me. THANKS :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not a dumb question at all. Factory Rubi axles will bolt right up to your X but, to get the lockers to work, you would need to buy/install the switchs and wiring harness and then I'm pretty sure you still need to take your Jeep to the dealership to have your computer recognize them.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can do it yes. If your getting the complete axles the wiring isn't too difficult.

But with the used axles there could be a ton of issues. (ie, need new gears, bent tubs or shafts)

I am actually planning on putting a rubi front 44 in my sport. Well that is if someone wants to give me theirs for a good price!

andrew -

suicideking

I had an axle swap done on mine -- got rid of the D30 and got a near new (only 1500 miles) D44 from someone. They're definitely out there, just need to find one in good shape.

I didn't need to take it to the dealer for anything. Just need to wire the locker. I think it's a simple 12 volt. You just hook it up to an aftermarket switch. While it was apart, I had sleeve, gussets, and a diff cover installed.

GasStationGuy

Good stuff. Hopefully Ill come across a good deal soon. I feel like I would regret it later if I bought lockers for the 30's I have now.

Good stuff. Hopefully Ill come across a good deal soon. I feel like I would regret it later if I bought lockers for the 30's I have now.

Please do not lock your 30! Save your pennies and wait till you have a rubi44 or if you save enough for a PR44.

Top Bottom