Fishing for Dana 60 knowledge...

Livin4Today

My cat blew on my 2007 JKU Sahara, so she's in the shop getting a free y pipe (only 70k miles)on warranty.

Well don't you know, nothing in life is free... My free cat y pipe, is gonna cost me the price of 1 shiny new O2 sensor... It seems that 3 were ruined or crappy and 1 survived the ordeal of removing them from the original pipe. I'm sucking it up and getting 4 new sensors instead of just 3, so I'll be all brand new.

Now the true cost... The local dealer Lithia Dodge doesn't have any in stock, so I'm stuck w/o my Jeep for another day, so tomorrow, I'll be back in action.

As we were underneath it, the wrench tells me that my rear axle is in need of some new clutches... and the front has too much play, but he did compliment me on my use of the rig. Then we got to talking about the future under strappings, and he suggested 94-96 Dodge 3/4 p/u axles (Dana 60's) that my ABS would rig into....

Crap, now , I'm thinking why waste money buying a 44 front, when I'd really rather be stronger in the end... So I started looking, and found that for the price of a slightly beefed front 44 housing I could have both axles out of one of these trucks...

Of couse then they'll need to be shortened and geared/locked etc, then new wheel lug patterns etc... So I'm dreaming of D-60 f/r on a 4 inch longarm suspension, 37/40 Inch tires... On a poor firefighter's budget (which fluctuates from a little to nothing quite regularly), who hopes to retire in 5 or 6 years, and tagging along with you guys (Eddie) on say Moab, Rubicon, and hopefully a JK-Experience (Remember for our honeymoon in 2015)... Hence the reason, I'm not just shelling out my $1000's on Teraflex/Dynatrack axles...

Here's what I'd like to learn in this thread, pluses & minuses of this build, costs I need to think of (with actual values please), some steps to take so that it comes out right the first time (shortening, gear ratio {5.38s}, and what beef to consider so I don't tear my axle off like Trail-Bud... I'd also like to list things I have yet to think about like keeping or loosing my 5x5 bolt pattern, tie rod/drag link issues etc, How much to shorten the axles... Yeah basically a build list to contemplate continuing my slow build with a 44 or make the break to 60's again trying to contain costs as much as possible.

Bottom line, the front 30 has to go soon, and I thought this might be a chance to upgrade both for a better outcome. Also this is my daily driver up here in the beautiful Pac NW. One more thing, in my Craiglist surfing I'm finding 60 fronts and 70 rears? Ideas, thoughts, etc. So please be generous, this is my first Jeep, and just like my first and only Harley, I'm jumping in with both feet thinking I'll keep her forever...

Thanks in advance for the wisdom that is to follow.

Livin4Today (aka JK Lance)

Last edited:

suicideking

Do you have some kind of estimate for this custom D60? Seems like a lot of trouble. Plus, are you doing the work yourself? Sounds like a lot of labor shortening it.

What size tires are you planning to run + how much are you going to be beating on it? If you're thinking 35's, then a 44 would be fine. If you start going 37's+, well then you might want to think about a D60.

If you get a Rubi front D44, it will already be the correct length and have a locker. I bought a near new Rubi D44 for $1500. Another advantage to going this route is it will be easy to get parts. Tell any mechanic you have a Rubi D44 and they will know exactly what you have. If you build some frankenstein D60, you may need to get parts custom made when you break it.

Really need a 60? Save up for a bolt on -- PR60. Think Currie makes one.

Livin4Today

Do you have some kind of estimate for this custom D60? Seems like a lot of trouble. Plus, are you doing the work yourself? Sounds like a lot of labor shortening it.

What size tires are you planning to run + how much are you going to be beating on it? If you're thinking 35's, then a 44 would be fine. If you start going 37's+, well then you might want to think about a D60.

If you get a Rubi front D44, it will already be the correct length and have a locker. I bought a near new Rubi D44 for $1500. Another advantage to going this route is it will be easy to get parts. Tell any mechanic you have a Rubi D44 and they will know exactly what you have. If you build some frankenstein D60, you may need to get parts custom made when you break it.

Really need a 60? Save up for a bolt on -- PR60. Think Currie makes one.

The goal here is to run 37s, I beat on my current 30/44 pretty hard, I'm not afraid of the trails that the TJ/CJ guys tell me I might want to pass on, in fact I take them as a dare showing them a JK can do them... Yeah, I have the battle scars to prove it, but I'm making believers out of em...

My thoughts are this running 37s requires a minimum of a 44 front, so that I'm not relying on a 30 with a minuscule 5.38 R & P to get my through... even with RCVs the R & P becomie the weak ling in a 30. A 44 gets me up a bit in beef, but I hope to play with Eddie and Mell someday, that requires 60's if I intend to follow them, but my budget has yet to allow purchasing the off the shelf 60s currently available, maybe in a year or so I can consider those options, but like most guys I suck at saving for big purchases... Being of the instant gratification crowd, I want my stuff yesterday, but will run what I've got until I get what I need...

suicideking

The goal here is to run 37s, I beat on my current 30/44 pretty hard, I'm not afraid of the trails that the TJ/CJ guys tell me I might want to pass on, in fact I take them as a dare showing them a JK can do them... Yeah, I have the battle scars to prove it, but I'm making believers out of em...

My thoughts are this running 37s requires a minimum of a 44 front, so that I'm not relying on a 30 with a minuscule 5.38 R & P to get my through... even with RCVs the R & P becomie the weak ling in a 30. A 44 gets me up a bit in beef, but I hope to play with Eddie and Mell someday, that requires 60's if I intend to follow them, but my budget has yet to allow purchasing the off the shelf 60s currently available, maybe in a year or so I can consider those options, but like most guys I suck at saving for big purchases... Being of the instant gratification crowd, I want my stuff yesterday, but will run what I've got until I get what I need...

Right on. Just see how much it's going to be to build a 60. Definitely post with what you find. Maybe do a Rubi 44 up front, then start saving for a 60 in the rear. Get the 60, start saving for a 60 up front. As long as you don't break the 44, you can probably get most of your money back.

But yeah, if you can do a custom 60 for a decent price installed, by all means... :thumb:

Top Bottom