Chicken Coops

Jsouder53

Hooked
I just got some baby chicks and a couple baby turkeys(named them Thanksgiving and Christmas) today for the first time. I’m just wondering if any other WAYALIFErs have chickens or turkeys and what your chicken coops look like. I’ll be building a coop over the next week or so and would love to see a couple of your designs.

I’m thinking of building another. Here’s the last one I did.

IMG_0967.JPG .
IMG_0968.JPG .

No better watch dog and critter eater than these feathered savages.
IMG_1124.jpg .

Last edited:

Bear_JT

Hooked
Wow, HighwayTrout’s coop looks pretty cool. I bet any chicken would like that. When I had turkeys they just free roamed, occasionally they would get put in the chicken pen and just hang out outside, mostly because they get so big.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RCVRY

That’s a high-tech coop. Those Island Reds are good layers too.

Couple questions for OP: how many chickens? Free roam or fenced? Predators?

In my experience, free roam chickens will lay eggs anywhere but the coop. [emoji215]

What kind of chickens did you get? I like Foghorns.

RCVRY

Couple questions for OP: how many chickens? (Edit: just saw 4 on other thread) Free roam or fenced? Predators?

In my experience, free roam chickens will lay eggs anywhere but the coop. [emoji215]

Jsouder53

Hooked

Couple questions for OP: how many chickens? Free roam or fenced? Predators?

We got 4 chickens (speckled sussex) and 2 turkeys (broad breasted bronze). They will be fenced since we have foxes and coyotes in the area and neighbors dogs that roam freely in our yard.

RCVRY

We got 4 chickens (speckled sussex) and 2 turkeys (broad breasted bronze). They will be fenced since we have foxes and coyotes in the area and neighbors dogs that roam freely in our yard.

I found a good article and build plans at thehappychickencoop.com

There’s some good information and variety of plans. Now I’ve got the itch to get some chicks. They are fun to raise and actually have goofy personalities.

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
I found a good article and build plans at thehappychickencoop.com

There’s some good information and variety of plans. Now I’ve got the itch to get some chicks. They are fun to raise and actually have goofy personalities.

I appreciate it!

It’s always been a dream of ours to have chickens, the turkeys are a plus lol

Willys17

The trick is to give them names like Kung Pao, Vesuvio, Marsala, etc.

This is my FIL’s setup:

D93880D9-CE30-4B8A-B94C-3B1AFBEDECBD.jpeg
151615F2-6BAF-49D5-9122-1D0FA1A5259C.jpeg
FD60DCF7-45AF-4DD4-AA06-5EDA08797949.jpeg
3EB785C5-5293-4410-BF75-D23A69161439.jpeg
DC42178D-5150-4347-B440-A1AC7BFF4D6F.jpeg
133E16C0-C316-4BE6-8146-F6ECF170CD0E.jpeg
90556806-323E-4F7C-91D0-5CB5BFE5FE9F.jpeg

Attachments

• 997BE382-B69A-47A3-B376-9C8DC47C06E0.jpeg
    997BE382-B69A-47A3-B376-9C8DC47C06E0.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 81

Willys17

Man, are you retired or what? How much time went into that? Must have made the "Better Homes & Coops" magazine!!

It’s my father-in-laws, but he works from home and they’ve got a house from 1885 so he’s become quite the DIYer throughout the years. Took him a few months to build (years ago) and he’s always adding on to it. A lot of the stuff he makes is pieced together from things he’s found dumpster diving (old doors, windows, etc.)

Top Bottom