38" stock axle

Osalamah

Morning people, i have a question so at the moment I have 37" wheels with a 3.5" lift on my 2016 jk unlimited sport, I was thinking once those tires go bad and need to replace them I wanna get 38" now I have stock axles but I'm planning on re gearing to a 4.88 ratio if I regear with the stock axles am I still on the safe side to run the 38" I go off roading about 5 or so times a year with a few buddies of mine but I don't go on rocks or anything extreme because I'm running 22" rims which is also a regret I have but I go on sand and mud so if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it, thank you.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
You're already running 37's if 38's are what you want do it. Most aren't going to give you a straight answer because of the 22" wheels. You have already broken all the Jeep rules so to speak. 37's on D30 and no re-gear, Oh and lets not forget the 22's. :doh:

Osalamah

On March 9th you “don’t go off-roading just pavement cruising” and today it’s 5 times a year???

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ya I recently started to go to this place in Indiana called badlands a few buddies of mine showed me it's fun and all but I wouldn't go every weekend I'd go just a few or so times a year and plus I got the wheels for a steal so I can always sell them and get smaller rims but no rush at the moment to do so I still have a blast with my mall crawler though which I think that's all that matters lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Going from 37’s to 38’s is such a small difference when installed it isn’t worth it.

Even as you sit now tho your really pushing the limits of the front axle just from driving on the road. Just stick with 37’s and look at a new front axle instead

Osalamah

Going from 37’s to 38’s is such a small difference when installed it isn’t worth it.

Even as you sit now tho your really pushing the limits of the front axle just from driving on the road. Just stick with 37’s and look at a new front axle instead

How bout if I re gear it to 4.88 because I'm doing that either way within a few weeks would you still recommend the same thing?

jdofmemi

If you have to buy tires anyway, sell the 22" wheels and buy some 17" wheels, with the tires you want. Then you only have to buy tires once

Save the regear money, and buy a 44 front, then gear it. Then you only have to regear once.

At least that way you can sell the still intact 30 to someone who didn't get or take good advice.

It don't matter that you only go once or five times a year, sooner or later the 30 will leave you in tears with 37s or 38s

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How bout if I re gear it to 4.88 because I'm doing that either way within a few weeks would you still recommend the same thing?

Yup. Regear doesn’t negate the fact that the front axle is gonna break at some point from all the stress of the tires and now add in the wheeling that your doing. You can regear from drivability now but still look into a front axle

WJCO

Meme King
Agreed with all. On top of that 4.88 is a pretty small pinion on a Dana 30. If you're set on running 37s or 38s, this setup is far from ideal.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you have to buy tires anyway, sell the 22" wheels and buy some 17" wheels, with the tires you want. Then you only have to buy tires once

Save the regear money, and buy a 44 front, then gear it. Then you only have to regear once.

At least that way you can sell the still intact 30 to someone who didn't get or take good advice.

It don't matter that you only go once or five times a year, sooner or later the 30 will leave you in tears with 37s or 38s

A 44 front is the same axle housing as the d30. Only difference is the pumpkin. Waste of money to “upgrade” to a 44. Only upgrade worth while would be an aftermarket 44 like the dynatrac prorock 44

Osalamah

Yup. Regear doesn’t negate the fact that the front axle is gonna break at some point from all the stress of the tires and now add in the wheeling that your doing. You can regear from drivability now but still look into a front axle

I got you bro but now do I just look into getting a new front axle not a back one? And if only front what pricing am I looking at? And is their a certain what I should get for the front?

Osalamah

Agreed with all. On top of that 4.88 is a pretty small pinion on a Dana 30. If you're set on running 37s or 38s, this setup is far from ideal.

What setup would you recommend me for someone who wouldn't go off road as much and won't go that extreme when I do but also wanting 38" or even stick with my 37" right now

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I got you bro but now do I just look into getting a new front axle not a back one? And if only front what pricing am I looking at? And is their a certain what I should get for the front?

The rear axle is a true Dana 44 so it’s very strong and can easily hold 37’s.

For the front I would recommend a dynatrac prorock 44. Depending on how you set it up your looking at about $4500 +/- for the axle and all the internals.

On my 2011 I run the prorock 44 and stock rear 44 with 37’s

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
The rear axle is a true Dana 44 so it’s very strong and can easily hold 37’s.

For the front I would recommend a dynatrac prorock 44. Depending on how you set it up your looking at about $4500 +/- for the axle and all the internals.

On my 2011 I run the prorock 44 and stock rear 44 with 37’s

this ^^ :yup:

longarmwj

For what it’s worth I have been running my D30 with 37s for well over a year and a half and it has held up to quite a bit of abuse.

However, that doesn’t mean it’s a staying in the jeep. I am planning on going with a PR44 at some point.

The difference between 37s and 38s so small that it would make no difference. The only thing you would gain is an extra half inch of clearance under your axles. And god forbid you are ever in a situation where you have to borrow a spare. It’s such an oddball size that nobody would have one they could loan you.

Wowcool

For what it’s worth I have been running my D30 with 37s for well over a year and a half and it has held up to quite a bit of abuse.

However, that doesn’t mean it’s a staying in the jeep. I am planning on going with a PR44 at some point.

The difference between 37s and 38s so small that it would make no difference. The only thing you would gain is an extra half inch of clearance under your axles. And god forbid you are ever in a situation where you have to borrow a spare. It’s such an oddball size that nobody would have one they could loan you.

Did you regear your D30 with the 37s? What gear ratio are you at?

Top Bottom