Body Lift and Wheel Spacers

RubiCON

I have a 3.5" suspension on 33x12.5 and I was thinking about a body lift and wheel spacers to get 35x13.5... Good idea?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
if you're still running factory wheels, yes, the wheel spacers will be needed if you have any hopes of running 13.50 wide tires. however, if you're already at 3.5" of lift, you won't need anything else to run 35's... that is, assuming you have a JK :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
okay, just looked at your profile and see that you have an 04 TJ. with that, yeah, i'd say a 1" body lift would be something you'd want to help clear 35's.

Ramasun

For a new guy. Is there a difference between a body lift and "what"? I have seen a lot of jeeps with extended suspensions shocks, etc. but what is the difference? When do you do one or the other?

I have a LOD front bumper and a warn winch on a stock JK. The nose has dropped some due to increased weight. What is best for me to do to correct that drop?

Robar

The Enforcer
A suspension lift is usually longer springs or spring spacers. A suspension lift can often be accompanied by an array of other parts such as adjustable control arms, drive shafts, adjustable track bars, and other assorted steering fixes. A body lift is just larger body mounts that lift the body of the jeep higher off of the frame rails.

zeddjb

Well while we are talking about wheel spacers...I have heard people say wheel spacers are a bad idea...Well ok, but with my setup I have 12.5" wide tires on the factory wheels with 1.5" wheel spacers and I still don't have enought clearance when making a near full left or right turn; the tires rub on the control arms. Now granted that I don't make near full turns all the time, but when trying to get into a parking space or making tight turns I am unable to do that because of the rubbing.

We just got a crap load of snow dumped on us this week so my plans of trying to figure out how big of wheel spacers I am going to need to buy went out the window, I'll have to wait a few more days. I have been looking around for at least 2" wheel spacers or bigger and to be honest, I can't seem to find any. I haven't done extensive internet searches yet and I'm about to call a vender to see if they can find me some.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what is a "safe" wheel spacer size for the stock Rubicon wheels that will let me clear full turns without rubbing on the control arms?

I just want to know what you guys think about wheel spacers and what you guys think about my situation.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, I just thought it was a good place to post this question since it's already being discussed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For a new guy. Is there a difference between a body lift and "what"? I have seen a lot of jeeps with extended suspensions shocks, etc. but what is the difference? When do you do one or the other?

I have a LOD front bumper and a warn winch on a stock JK. The nose has dropped some due to increased weight. What is best for me to do to correct that drop?

a body lift literally uses spacers lift the body of your jeep up off your frame. while this gives your tires room between them and the fenders, it'll do nothing for the performance of your jeep. people do body lifts because they are cheap and easy to do. a suspension lift will physically push your frame higher off the ground and give your tires more breathing room but, it will also give the belly of your jeep up off the ground and, depending on the kit, improve the performance of it on and off the trail.

Well while we are talking about wheel spacers...I have heard people say wheel spacers are a bad idea...Well ok, but with my setup I have 12.5" wide tires on the factory wheels with 1.5" wheel spacers and I still don't have enought clearance when making a near full left or right turn; the tires rub on the control arms. Now granted that I don't make near full turns all the time, but when trying to get into a parking space or making tight turns I am unable to do that because of the rubbing.

We just got a crap load of snow dumped on us this week so my plans of trying to figure out how big of wheel spacers I am going to need to buy went out the window, I'll have to wait a few more days. I have been looking around for at least 2" wheel spacers or bigger and to be honest, I can't seem to find any. I haven't done extensive internet searches yet and I'm about to call a vender to see if they can find me some.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what is a "safe" wheel spacer size for the stock Rubicon wheels that will let me clear full turns without rubbing on the control arms?

I just want to know what you guys think about wheel spacers and what you guys think about my situation.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, I just thought it was a good place to post this question since it's already being discussed.

so long as they are high quality wheel spacers and you install them right, they are totally safe and will behave no differently than a wheel with less back spacing. having said that, i personally would just add a couple of washers to your steer stops to address this problem than add bigger spacers. this write-up should help you out:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-steer-stop-adjustment

zeddjb

Steering Stop + Washers = No Tire Rub

So I just put on those washers to adjust my steering stops, but I had to use three on the driver side :doh: and four on the passenger side :doh: to stop all rubbing. :icon_crazy:

See attached images.
jeep_steer_stop (1).jpg jeep_steer_stop (2).jpg jeep_steer_stop (3).jpg

There was plenty of thread on the bolt on the passenger side to use four washers, however I wouldn't go with more than four. Now for those of you wondering the wheel/tire setup I'm running Nitto Mud Grapplers on the stock 17" Rubicon wheel. Tire size: 35x12.5xR17 on a 2012 Rubicon.

This setup will suffice for the short term until I can get wheels or wheel spacers that will give me the desired setup. If you guys want more pictures or have questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm more than willing to go the "extra mile" if it will help others out. :thumb:

Top Bottom