Need help with upgrade list I have for my 13 JKUR

Firespyer

I am thinking about some upgrades, on my Daily Driver / Weekend Warrior ’13 JKU Rubicon things that I can put on myself. I went with what bolt on I could find. I cant weld, and am a bit scared of trying to drill new holes.

I am open to suggestions; I’m not looking to go hardcore rock crawling, just weekends in the woods and some trails at Rausch Creek. If you think I am missing something or if you think there is something better out there I missed. I am new to Wranglers and there are so many aftermarket products to look through. Also I am paying for the extended warranty my dealer talked me into, and wouldn't want to flush all that money away to soon.

LOD Mid-Width or Rugged Ridge XHD w/ stubby ends
Both w/ Hoop & Front Skid

Winch w/ synthetic line 8k -10k range

Ace JK Rock Sliders (They work w/ ruby rails)

AEV JK Dana 44 Sliders (only because I have been whacking the crap out of it every time I get on a trail)

DynoMax JK Evolution Competition Exhaust
K&N Airfilter (Temporary, not sure if I am going to go CAI or Snorkel)

Truck-Lites & some extra leds

Tires and lift – This is the part I am really unsure about. This is my daily driver, I am not tall by any means, neither is my wife.
I was thinking 35’s maybe and a 2.5in lift. Keeping the stock Rubicon wheels because well I think they look awesome.

StrizzyChris

I am thinking about some upgrades, on my Daily Driver / Weekend Warrior ’13 JKU Rubicon things that I can put on myself. I went with what bolt on I could find. I cant weld, and am a bit scared of trying to drill new holes.

After a few mods, that fear will go away completely and youll look forward to it :yup:

Of those two, I would say LOD every day of the week! I had the Rugged Ridge stubby with hoop...and while the base was plenty sturdy, the hoop is crap! If you plan on that hoop having any function, other than looks, dont buy it! Again the base bumper itself is fine though. (the EVO 1/4 pounder is about the same price as the RR and a million times better IMHO)

EDIT: Just an FYI for LOD...they do have around a 2 month lead time til its built and delivered. (at least my sliders did)

Go with a used warn and save some money for other mods. They last forever and are great winches in any environment.

The DynoMax exhaust is a super easy install (except getting those damn rubber isolators off the stock exhaust hangers!) I would hold off on the K&N and keep the stock air filter until your sure what you're doing with a CAI. But thats because I hate spending money twice.

Tires and lift – This is the part I am really unsure about. This is my daily driver, I am not tall by any means, neither is my wife.
I was thinking 35’s maybe and a 2.5in lift. Keeping the stock Rubicon wheels because well I think they look awesome.

If you're looking to save money and not get into replacing drive shafts and getting into beefing up axle components I would stick with 35" or less and a 2" or 2.5" BB system would be a good simple install for your first lift. You'll also want to install C-gussets, even with 35's. They are only around $50 plus install costs.

Last edited:
I am currently running the Teraflex 2.5 budget boost with .5" spacers in front (to help with the sag). I have 35's on the stock wheels. I have been really surprised how nice it rides, wheels and was to install. I would highly recommend it if you don't want a huge task or don't want to modify your rig a bunch. It keeps all the stock steering and shocks.

suicideking

Another vote for the LOD bumper. Love all the LOD stuff.

I haven't decided on bumpers yet (other mods first), but LOD is one of my top choices for front and rear. Some of the other front bumpers I like: PSC Brawler lite, Gen right grill width.

The Ace rails will be good if you and your wife would like a little help getting in. They work great as a step. Do keep in mind though, they are more of a light to moderate wheeler rail. If you're planning to do more hard core stuff, look for something that mounts to the frame. Again, I love the LOD rails though they are on the pricey side. About twice the price of the Ace.

Tackerdown

Banned
I run the 2.5 BB with pucks and it helped allot. I'm on a slow build budget so this seemed the way to go for me. I run the stock 32's for now and plan on 34's or 35's with 1.5" wheel spacers when they wear out. I like my rubi wheels to.Then when I can swing it I'll move up to the 3" enforcer kit with the recommended drag link flip kit ,and I want to add the rear upper and lower control arms to bring my wheels back to factory position with 2.0 kings and front drive shaft(needed with a 3" or more lift). I think I'll be right where I want to be if I don't change my mind again. If i think I get to much sag with a upgraded bumper I'll buy some spacers to fix it but I don't think it'll be that much of a problem. Then I'll be set to run 37's If that becomes an option.:twocents:
Man I wish I could just go out and buy it right now.

jkmadness

I am open to suggestions; I’m not looking to go hardcore rock crawling, just weekends in the woods and some trails at Rausch Creek. If you think I am missing something or if you think there is something better out there I missed. I am new to Wranglers and there are so many aftermarket products to look through. Also I am paying for the extended warranty my dealer talked me into, and wouldn't want to flush all that money away to soon.

Ace JK Rock Sliders (They work w/ ruby rails)

AEV JK Dana 44 Sliders (only because I have been whacking the crap out of it every time I get on a trail)

Truck-Lites & some extra leds

35's nitto trailers with 2.5 coil lift,I would do that first Sean :twocents:

Firespyer

35's nitto trailers with 2.5 coil lift,I would do that first Sean :twocents:

Tires is a tuff nut to swallow, but your probably right and that should be what i go with first. I am going to pick up the Ace Sliders right away for parking lot defense if nothing else.
Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

jkmadness

Tires is a tuff nut to swallow, but your probably right and that should be what i go with first. I am going to pick up the Ace Sliders right away for parking lot defense if nothing else.
Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

If you ever decide to do the lift,let me know i will be more than happy to help (Been there,Done that):cool:

Firespyer

If you ever decide to do the lift,let me know i will be more than happy to help (Been there,Done that):cool:

Def going to do a lift, just wondering how its gonna look before I get new tires.

And I'll be taking u up on the offer for help, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

jkmadness

Def going to do a lift, just wondering how its gonna look before I get new tires.

And I'll be taking u up on the offer for help, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

It won't look bad if you use wheel spacers on them until you get new tires and wheels

jkmadness

I was going to need those anyway with the new tires on my existing wheels, i'll just add some psc spacers to my latest NorthRidge order
Thx again Ed!

No Problem, By the way I Bought my lift at Northridge also it was the TF 2.5 coil with the 5100 bilsteins.
What I like about it is that gave me 3 inches up front and 2 in the back killing the jk's original rake

Firespyer

Slight change from the original, going with a Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex kit & RK C gussets
Getting it installed in about a week and a half.

Top Bottom