F@#K Aluminum

TrailHunter

Hooked
I was at the lumber yard this morning and my dumb ass turned into a stack of 2x6’s that was in my blind spot. Buckled the lower part of both my passenger doors. [emoji22] 3 months after I bought my F150, some lady backed into my rear Drivers door.... so I’m thinking “Magnetic” Grey was a bad choice in color. Lol

I love this truck... but I’m quickly realizing Aluminum body panels, suck Balls. A steel body would have been just as damaged, but its the repair process where aluminum fails. There is just more options with Steel. You can weld rods and pull the damage out, then patch.... but with aluminum they cant weld pull points and it doesn’t hold shape as well.... so you have to replace whole doors, panels etc... And the price goes way up.

So beware JL owners.... trail damage to those aluminum areas may get costly.

IMG_0525.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I was at the lumber yard this morning and my dumb ass turned into a stack of 2x6’s that was in my blind spot. Buckled the lower part of both my passenger doors. [emoji22] 3 months after I bought my F150, some lady backed into my rear Drivers door.... so I’m thinking “Magnetic” Grey was a bad choice in color. Lol

I love this truck... but I’m quickly realizing Aluminum body panels, suck Balls. A steel body would have been just as damaged, but its the repair process where aluminum fails. There is just more options with Steel. You can weld rods and pull the damage out, then patch.... but with aluminum they cant weld pull points and it doesn’t hold shape as well.... so you have to replace whole doors, panels etc... And the price goes way up.

So beware JL owners.... trail damage to those aluminum areas may get costly.

View attachment 328152

I did the same goddamn thing with the wife's F250 - turned a corner and clipped a car's rear bumper that was completely in the blind spot. I didn't even know what I hit. I've been purposely putting off getting an estimate because I know it's gonna be gruesome. :icon_crazy:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I did the same goddamn thing with the wife's F250 - turned a corner and clipped a car's rear bumper that was completely in the blind spot. I didn't even know what I hit. I've been purposely putting off getting an estimate because I know it's gonna be gruesome. :icon_crazy:

Damn.. that sucks.

I just got the estimate... $2200. I’ll just pay the $500 deductible and go through insurance. If it was steel... I bet it would be around $1000 - $1600.

jesse3638

Hooked
Comprehensive claim won’t raise your rates. I’ve replaced all my windshields with comprehensive and no rate hike. $0 deductible.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Did not know that. Good to know. I was under the impression anything that you had fault in would raise them. Now if he could prove those 2x6's were at fault and uninsured they'd probably waive his deductible...haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

Why do they have to replace the door?? It doesn’t look like it’s creased. Take it to a paint-less dent repair place. I’m an estimator for one and we get doors like this all the time that pop right back out, even on aluminum. The marks should come off with some paint thinner as long as they haven’t gone all the way through.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Why do they have to replace the door?? It doesn’t look like it’s creased. Take it to a paint-less dent repair place. I’m an estimator for one and we get doors like this all the time that pop right back out, even on aluminum. The marks should come off with some paint thinner as long as they haven’t gone all the way through.

Took it to one of the top Dentless guys in the Southbay.... He is an honest dude... said he couldn't fix it.

IMG_5054.jpg IMG_5051.jpg

This was $8000 in damage and 30 days in the shop. And there are only a few shops in SoCal that are ford certified for aluminum. It required the removal of the bed and replacement door and partial cab disassembly. Came out better than new and we love the truck however if it was being used for work or off-road I wouldn’t get aluminum again.

Top Bottom