Help me understand track bar position better/slight bump steer?

USMC Wrangler

I now have a few hundred miles on the 4” lift and am noticing the slightest bit of bump steer at highway speeds. Both axles are within an 1/8” of being centered, I DO NOT have a steering stabilizer, I DO have a flipped draglink which IS NOT parallel to the trackbar and raised trackbar brackets installed.

To accomplish the centering of the axles I used the bottom holes (2 options up front, 4 out back) on the raised brackets with my OE trackbars. Also, my caster reads 4°. I also rotated and checked psi on my tires a few days ago to rule that out.

IMG_7856.jpg

IMG_7857.jpg

So should I be considering an adjustable front track bar to center AND get it parallel to the draglink? Am I overlooking something else?

Oh, and other than centering the axle at the rear, what is my point of reference for correct placement?

Don’t get me wrong, the road manners are better than I imagined they’d be. I just hit the same few bumps to/from work and notice the slight jerk to the left on the steering wheel. Hopefully my questions explain what’s bouncing around in my head accurately and thanks in advance!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I thought bump-steer was just drag link angle and yours is already flipped... Subscribing to get some learns. Track bar is all about roll center and axle position right?

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I now have a few hundred miles on the 4” lift and am noticing the slightest bit of bump steer at highway speeds. Both axles are within an 1/8” of being centered, I DO NOT have a steering stabilizer, I DO have a flipped draglink which IS NOT parallel to the trackbar and raised trackbar brackets installed.

To accomplish the centering of the axles I used the bottom holes (2 options up front, 4 out back) on the raised brackets with my OE trackbars. Also, my caster reads 4°. I also rotated and checked psi on my tires a few days ago to rule that out.

View attachment 328587

View attachment 328588

So should I be considering an adjustable front track bar to center AND get it parallel to the draglink? Am I overlooking something else?

Oh, and other than centering the axle at the rear, what is my point of reference for correct placement?

Don’t get me wrong, the road manners are better than I imagined they’d be. I just hit the same few bumps to/from work and notice the slight jerk to the left on the steering wheel. Hopefully my questions explain what’s bouncing around in my head accurately and thanks in advance!

You probably need to use the top holes on the front and rear with adjustable track bars. Most lifts are a little higher than advertised and bump steer is definitely coming from track bar. Hope this helps, good luck.

TheGrendel

yep. as said above, move your trackbar to the top hole on the front. on the rear, probably one of those middle holes. play around with it. see if that solves your issue. :beer:

WJCO

Meme King
I’d put that track bar in the upper hole and center your steering wheel and call it a day.

^Yep. This.

Here's your picture with lines drawn on it. I did the best to guess where your upper drag link pivot point is. The blue lines represent your current angles. The green line shows where your track bar would be if you moved it to that upper hole. Much more parallel if you move it up.

IMG_7856.jpg

USMC Wrangler

I’d put that track bar in the upper hole and center your steering wheel and call it a day.

^Yep. This.

Here's your picture with lines drawn on it. I did the best to guess where your upper drag link pivot point is. The blue lines represent your current angles. The green line shows where your track bar would be if you moved it to that upper hole. Much more parallel if you move it up.

View attachment 328591

Thanks. I’ll do that. Should I adjust the rear to match? Meaning I know my front axle will probably be off center by about a 1/2”, so move the rear so it’s about the same?

Is that a big deal (damaging to other components) to have the axles off center 1/2-5/8”? Or I should say, big enough to justify adj trackbars? I’d rather stay OE, but if it’s truly needed...

TheGrendel

Thanks. I’ll do that. Should I adjust the rear to match? Meaning I know my front axle will probably be off center by about a 1/2”, so move the rear so it’s about the same?

Is that a big deal (damaging to other components) to have the axles off center 1/2-5/8”? Or I should say, big enough to justify adj trackbars? I’d rather stay OE, but if it’s truly needed...

it's not that big of deal. Eddie's talked about it before. think i would put an angle finder on your front trackbar after you raise it to the top spot. then, try and match that angle at the rear with one of those other holes.

USMC Wrangler

it's not that big of deal. Eddie's talked about it before. think i would put an angle finder on your front trackbar after you raise it to the top spot. then, try and match that angle at the rear with one of those other holes.

Ok, thanks. Makes sense.

Braxtonsag

I’d definitely choose correct steering geometry over a slightly off center front axle. I wouldn’t even worry about it tbh. If you can’t tell it’s off center by eye it’s probably fine

USMC Wrangler

I’d definitely choose correct steering geometry over a slightly off center front axle. I wouldn’t even worry about it tbh. If you can’t tell it’s off center by eye it’s probably fine

Cool, thanks. Good to know and it will help me save $$$ for my next, planned upgrade which will be my biggest to date. [emoji1303]

Top Bottom