Quick tie-rod and drag link question...

Hendu3270

Started experiencing DW a few weeks ago. There is no slack in any tie-rod ends or ends of the drag link, Trac bar is solid (or at least I can't budge when I'm under the vehicle). Wheel bearing have no play that I'm able to tell and prying up under the wheels shows zero play in the ball joints. The only thing that I don't think is normal is the tie-rod and drag link are not "tight". What I mean, is if I rotate one up, it will just fall back down under its own weight. Again, there's no play in them that I can tell, but I would expect them to be solid. With good tie rod ends, those bars would stay in whatever position I put it in, right?

desertrunner

Started experiencing DW a few weeks ago. There is no slack in any tie-rod ends or ends of the drag link, Trac bar is solid (or at least I can't budge when I'm under the vehicle). Wheel bearing have no play that I'm able to tell and prying up under the wheels shows zero play in the ball joints. The only thing that I don't think is normal is the tie-rod and drag link are not "tight". What I mean, is if I rotate one up, it will just fall back down under its own weight. Again, there's no play in them that I can tell, but I would expect them to be solid. With good tie rod ends, those bars would stay in whatever position I put it in, right?
Have you had someone sit in the drivers seat and turn the steering wheel a few inches back and forth while you hold the tie rod ends?
This is how I found out mine were shot even though I couldn't really feel play trying to move them by hand.
With someone turning the wheel I could feel mine moving up and down and a little side to side.
I agree though that they shouldn't just flop down under their own weight like your describing

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hendu3270

Have you had someone sit in the drivers seat and turn the steering wheel a few inches back and forth while you hold the tie rod ends?
This is how I found out mine were shot even though I couldn't really feel play trying to move them by hand.
With someone turning the wheel I could feel mine moving up and down and a little side to side.
I agree though that they shouldn't just flop down under their own weight like your describing

I had my son turning the steering while I watched each one and looked for any play or looseness. Didn't hold on to them though. Might need to check that out. Could probably feel it better than I can see it. Thanks

desertrunner

I had my son turning the steering while I watched each one and looked for any play or looseness. Didn't hold on to them though. Might need to check that out. Could probably feel it better than I can see it. Thanks
Eddie posted a video in the JL journal with dynatrac installing the PR44 and did a little bit in that vid of what I mentioned to do. Worth checking out and seeing if you can feel it rather than just see it. If you place your thumb along the TRE and the knuckle or pitman arm you can feel any movement a lot better. In my case I could see it move and feel it so I knew it was bad but you shouldn't feel any up and down or sideward movement when turning the wheel.

Top Bottom