35s or 37s?

Otzy

Hey all,

im trying to decide whether i want to start with 35" tires or just go straight to 37s. The reason i want to jump the gun and go straight to 37s is that i know that i want to do it eventually, and id rather nto burn a whole lot of cash on tires and rims that id just replace a year or two down the road, ya know?

so my questions were pertaining to driveability. Does anyone know what the average mpg for a jk with 35s and 37s is? And also, will the increased size in tires effect my ability to drive at high speeds? and how much so?

lastly, if going with 35s, would 3-3.5" of lift be fine? and would a 4" lift cut it for 37s or should i shoot higher?

thanks for any advice guys!

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Well, the biggest thing is if you hop straight to 37's on a stock jk you are going to need to regear to get that mileage back anyway. Its also going to add more stress on the stock axles themselves. I chose to go 35's for these very reasons. I will make the jump to 37's once I get the jeep ready for them. Hope this helps.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Otzy

if i went to 37s id plan on getting a new front axle, drive shaft and regearing anyways to a 4.88, i wouldnt put 37s on stock. thanks!

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I think WAL jeep Moby is on a 3.5" and he is runnin 40's. ( dont quote me on that) As far as driveability, as long as you are geared properly the tire size isnt going to make that much difference. I ran 37"s on my truck and with the right gearing it didnt really feel much different. Even now, Im running 35's on stock axles and dont really feel a difference. It will be improved when I jump to 4:88's. IMO, if your jeep is ready to except the 37's with your preperations you should be able to get decent gas mileage. Not going to be the best, but I would wait for more people to wake up and you will get far more of a solid answer.

1BAMFR

A JK with 35's or 37's will get horrible gas mileage and will lose street drivability. A nice cruising highway speed with 37's is about 65-70mph.

If you know you will eventually go 37's...I would do it now. You will need at least 3.5" lift, flat fenders, gears, inner fender trimming, and gussets/axles. Also a rim with some nice back spacing and/or wheel spacers.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Geez, you make it sound like murder. 35's on my Jeep is not that bad. I think my JK has great driveability. The gas mileage isnt horrible, its not the best, but overall I think its ok.

Otzy

haha im not worried about mileage, but if the difference is like 15 mpg to 8 then thats defintely worth staying with 35s, but i doubt its that large of a difference so im not worried, i know they're gas guzzling either way. and i have a sport not a rubi

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Do you plan to get a new front axle? If not I wouldn't step up to 37's until your ready. That's the reason why I am running 35's because I need to save some more for a new front axle.

Otzy

ya i plan on getting a dana 44,

my question about that is would i need that before i put on the 37s? or could i get it on even a month after i have 37s assuming im not off roading, just road driving. same thing goes for the drive shafts?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You should be fine for a little while and some even go a long time on 37's with a D30. I just would not.

You will need driveshafts too depending on how much lift and 2 or 4 door.

ilikeguns

I didn't go for the 37s because of my D30 up front.. My 35s are cool for now plus I don't get killed on MPG (still a daily driver). i can get 15 if i drive like a granny.

Top Bottom