Shop Near Norfolk, VA for clutch replacement

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Does anyone have a shop that they recommend in the Norfolk, VA area? I moved to Norfolk about a year ago and I hadn't needed a mechanic until now. Last week my wife was driving my JK and it appears that the TOB has completely failed from what she and her Dad (retired mechanic) were able to tell me through email. I'm deployed, so I can't do the work myself. My JK has about 110k miles on it with the original clutch and TOB so its probably past time for this work to be done.
There are 5 dealerships in the area and a lot of local shops including Open Air Jeeps and Indian River Auto and Transmission Repair. I don't want to replace the TOB with an OEM (looking to use the TIMKEN 614093 TOB) which may mean that a dealership will not do the work.
Any experience and thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Why would you not want to replace with OEM? 110k miles sounds pretty good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My TOB has made a squeaking noise for the last 70k miles due to the plastic insert. The Timken TOB is an all metal construction that other people have reported in previous threads performs better than OEM.

Does anyone have a shop in the Norfolk/VA Beach area that you like?

Thanks!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My TOB has made a squeaking noise for the last 70k miles due to the plastic insert. The Timken TOB is an all metal construction that other people have reported in previous threads performs better than OEM.

Thanks!

Never used them before but Chaos Fab shop is a jeep shop I hear about that seems to do good work. Prob not that local but worth a look

Amrth

Does anyone have a shop that they recommend in the Norfolk, VA area? I moved to Norfolk about a year ago and I hadn't needed a mechanic until now. Last week my wife was driving my JK and it appears that the TOB has completely failed from what she and her Dad (retired mechanic) were able to tell me through email. I'm deployed, so I can't do the work myself. My JK has about 110k miles on it with the original clutch and TOB so its probably past time for this work to be done.
There are 5 dealerships in the area and a lot of local shops including Open Air Jeeps and Indian River Auto and Transmission Repair. I don't want to replace the TOB with an OEM (looking to use the TIMKEN 614093 TOB) which may mean that a dealership will not do the work.
Any experience and thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt

Hey Matt - Try Tomyworx at 3537 Pruden Blvd, Suffolk, VA 23434 .. Stand up guy, most of us get our Jeeps fixed there.. Look him up at FB and shoot him a text, he does respond usually later in the day..

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Thanks!

Okay... it hasn’t failed until 110k miles. That’s good to me.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Hey Matt - Try Tomyworx at 3537 Pruden Blvd, Suffolk, VA 23434 .. Stand up guy, most of us get our Jeeps fixed there.. Look him up at FB and shoot him a text, he does respond usually later in the day..

Amrth,
Thank you! I will get in contact with him.

Cozdude,
I'll look into them if Tomyworx doesn't work out.

Adam,
I agree with you about the OEM clutch and components working well for 110k miles. Now that I need to replace the TOB (and everything else while it's opened up), I'm looking to upgrade the TOB with one that hopefully will not squeak each time I depress the clutch pedal. Most manual JK owners on the forum have experienced this annoying squeaking and the Timken TOB has helped alleviate this for several of the guys on here. Hopefully it will be a fix for me too.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Amrth,
Thank you! I will get in contact with him.

Cozdude,
I'll look into them if Tomyworx doesn't work out.

Adam,
I agree with you about the OEM clutch and components working well for 110k miles. Now that I need to replace the TOB (and everything else while it's opened up), I'm looking to upgrade the TOB with one that hopefully will not squeak each time I depress the clutch pedal. Most manual JK owners on the forum have experienced this annoying squeaking and the Timken TOB has helped alleviate this for several of the guys on here. Hopefully it will be a fix for me too.

I have the noise on mine and can’t say I ever notice it unless I am parked and actually looking for it.

jesse3638

Hooked
I have the noise on mine and can’t say I ever notice it unless I am parked and actually looking for it.

Same here, especially when I'm near a wall or something the sound can bounce off of. I'm more concerned with my son learning to drive a manual on the jeep shortening the clutches life expectancy...[emoji6]. If I hit 100k before having to replace it I'll be happy...haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug

I had the noise from about the 40k mile point and then it got significantly louder about 2 years ago. Very noticeable when I was stopped. I'll let everyone know if the Timken TOB works out for me.

Top Bottom