Jk Overheating

rogerk93

The past week my Jeep will start to overheat after 10 min into driving and randomly get back down to normal temp for a second then temperatures go right back up. I check the coolant reservoir and it is filled to the top which I did not add that much. When I checked the level in the radiator it was a little low so I would add some coolant and start to drive again. After driving around for a couple minutes I notice coolant all over my diff and the coolant reservoir has more coolant in it then before and the radiator is a little low again and the overheating starts again. I don’t think it is the water pump as I don’t see any leaks or hear any noise. But I’m uncertain on how to check to find the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The past week my Jeep will start to overheat after 10 min into driving and randomly get back down to normal temp for a second then temperatures go right back up. I check the coolant reservoir and it is filled to the top which I did not add that much. When I checked the level in the radiator it was a little low so I would add some coolant and start to drive again. After driving around for a couple minutes I notice coolant all over my diff and the coolant reservoir has more coolant in it then before and the radiator is a little low again and the overheating starts again. I don’t think it is the water pump as I don’t see any leaks or hear any noise. But I’m uncertain on how to check to find the problem.

You have air in your cooling system it sounds like. It’s pushing coolant out into the overflow (which it should) but cause you have so much coolant in the overflow it dumps out into your diff.

Check your thermostat housing for a crack. If it is there is your air leak causing the air pocket for you to overheat. Also take the radiator cap off, top off radiator, and start the jeep and see if any air pockets get pushed out once it starts warming up.

Ddays

Hooked
Check your thermostat housing for a crack. If it is there is your air leak causing the air pocket for you to overheat. Also take the radiator cap off, top off radiator, and start the jeep and see if any air pockets get pushed out once it starts warming up.

I had this happen on a trip to Rausch a couple years ago. The hole was so small on the tstat housing you could barely make it out. I'd start by changing the housing and tstat as it's really easy to do both. When I burped my system I parked it on a big ass rock so the rad was way high and let it sit while running for 15 minutes. IDK if it's necessary to do that but I didn't have any air bubbles that I needed to purge later. :idontknow:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I had this happen on a trip to Rausch a couple years ago. The hole was so small on the tstat housing you could barely make it out. I'd start by changing the housing and tstat as it's really easy to do both. When I burped my system I parked it on a big ass rock so the rad was way high and let it sit while running for 15 minutes. IDK if it's necessary to do that but I didn't have any air bubbles that I needed to purge later. :idontknow:

Yea I remember that trip. Had to get you off the trail early that day.

Not necessary to park it like that to burp it but it helps

rogerk93

I’ll go through it all again to see if there is any leaks but I couldn’t tell before. I was going to change out the tstat housing as it’s pretty cheap and easy to do. Thank you guys

Top Bottom