Gas Tank Skid

Grayson328

Smashed the stock tank skid pretty good. Looks like it is pushed up against the tank. Is this something that needs to be addressed or no big deal?

Attachments

• Tank Skid.jpg
    Tank Skid.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 116

wjtstudios

Hooked
Compared to some of the other member’s tanks here, that’s not that bad. You could always bang it out. If it bothers you, you can upgrade your skid plate, rock hard or evo are good options.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 Jeep Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’ve got a puncture in my skid and I’m worried it might damage the plastic tank... does the skid come off without having to remove the whole tank?

Ddays

Hooked
I’ve got a puncture in my skid and I’m worried it might damage the plastic tank... does the skid come off without having to remove the whole tank?

I think the tank comes off with the skid. As long as there's no metal poking into the tank it should be ok

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You can fit a strap between the skid and the tank and hold it up if needed. Really it’s a pain in the dickhole. Just drive to empty and remove the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
I think the tank comes off with the skid. As long as there's no metal poking into the tank it should be ok

You can fit a strap between the skid and the tank and hold it up if needed. Really it’s a pain in the dickhole. Just drive to empty and remove the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m going to try and loosen the bolts, and see if I can get it there and pry it out and inspect any damage to the plastic... if not, I’ll drop the whole thing.

IMG_0797.jpg

Last summer, I dented it in about 75 percent as much. I removed it using floor jacks and ratchet straps like OverlanderJK said. It IS a pain in the dickhole, but I was paranoid that I was pinching a line or something. After inspecting the tank and all the hoses, nothing was damaged. I took the skid to work and put it in the press to get it back to its original shape. This summer I slapped on a full belly pan skid system. It bolts right over the oem gas tank skid. Glad I did

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
Smashed the stock tank skid pretty good. Looks like it is pushed up against the tank. Is this something that needs to be addressed or no big deal?

I've had a dent close to that size for about a year. No issues so far. My only concern is if it pushed up enough to bend the fuel sender and my gas gauge isn't accurate anymore, lol.

Lukegotlost

Mine was so badly beaten, that there was no saving it. I ended up getting a Rough Country skid, because it was the only one I could find that had reviews of it being used as a stand alone. It is not a true stand alone though, and is designed to go over the factory, like all the others. This is based on the fact that there is no captured nut available for the T-case skid plate. I fabbed up a plate, welded a nut to it, welded that assembly to the RC skid, and it’s perfect. Got to trash my factory skid to save weight. It’s a damn tough skid plate too.
As others mentioned, I ran my JKUR to empty, and supported the tank with ratchet straps while removing the factory skid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom