pop up camper

woof359

Im a lucky guy, made it to the end of the line and Im now a happy retired man with a plan. I was thinking of buying a small pop up camper and using it for a month or two and then selling it, any one here have experience towing a camper ? I have a 2 door Sport with 35's:beer:

I think 3 grand is the weight rating for two doors. Should be well under that with a small pop up camper.
Enjoy your retirement and what sounds like a fun two month road trip!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Im a lucky guy, made it to the end of the line and Im now a happy retired man with a plan. I was thinking of buying a small pop up camper and using it for a month or two and then selling it, any one here have experience towing a camper ? I have a 2 door Sport with 35's[emoji481]

With a 2 door, make sure you have an anti-sway bar on your hitch. Personally, I’d run 2 anti-sway bars. I pulled an R-Pod, from Mississippi, to California and back. It only had one sway bar. I put two anti-sway bars on my Coachmen Apex Nano. Your wheelbase is short, and your trailer will likely have a single axle, so sway is a concern. A good load leveling hitch, and a couple of anti-sway bars, and you should be good to go. Keep it below 60 mph, until you get a feel for it. Honestly 65 or below is fast enough, towing.

Last edited:

Scrambler

I can honestly say I was never 100% comfortable pulling my pop up behind my 2 door. It was fine in town driving, but once I hit the interstate it swayed too much. Granted, I never went the antisway route, but I inevitably sold the pop up after a year or so of camping.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Congrats on your retirement!! We just got a small pop up - 8 foot box 13 feet long when folded down - very light and easy to tow. But we have a four door
IMG_2317.jpg IMG_2318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Braxtonsag

I pulled a 17 ft travel trailer that weighed almost 3500 lbs quite a bit. 2000 lbs is the max on a 2 door though. Get you a good anti sway load distribution hitch and you’ll be fine. I really like the hitch on our Yukon and 31ft travel trailer. It’s a Fastway e2 hitch.

Ajkaz

Im a lucky guy, made it to the end of the line and Im now a happy retired man with a plan. I was thinking of buying a small pop up camper and using it for a month or two and then selling it, any one here have experience towing a camper ? I have a 2 door Sport with 35's:beer:

I have towed my 09 Aliner Sport all over the place with my 07 2 Door JKR, 6 Spd, 37's & 4.88's. Dry hitch weight is around 155 and dry trailer weight is around 1100lbs. It tows great, no issues at all, just drive within your vehicles limits (65mph max) and make good decisions.

It has electronic brakes and the offroad axle / tire combo. I do not have or need any weight distribution hitches or gear at this weight. Loaded its normally around 1600lbs.

Top Bottom