Upgrading Lift

BasClaws

I recently bought a wrangler (JKU Sahara) and finally got it back from the shop recently because I was in an accident. Now, I didn't notice the rough riding and bump steer it had because I only drove it on smooth roads when I test drove it, and when on a bumpy road it is all over the place. Supposedly the dealer says its a 3-inch rough country lift. I've gotten numerous recommendations to just trash that lift and get a new one, add adjustable control arms or geo brackets, new shocks and coils, adjustable track bars new tie rods and flipping my draglinks. I have minimal idea of what any of this means lol. However, I do know that I need a new lift because the rough country does not ride very smooth. Can I just swap it out with new coils and shocks, preferably the rancho 9000s? I want to keep it at a 2-3 inch lift because I don't plan on going any bigger than the 33s that are on there. I would also add a yeti adj track bar if needed along with geo brackets or some control arms. I only plan to off-road 5-6 times a year. I'm not exactly sure how to address the bump steer. I am tacking it back to the shop tomorrow to get the steering wheel aligned because they didn't align it properly. Should I have them look at the lift, and possibly get the alignment specs?

Heres the shocks and coils I am looking at https://www.quadratec.com/p/rancho/2-inch-progressive-sport-lift-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk

If I do indeed need a whole new lift kit, this is what I am looking at. It includes the rancho 9000s and geo brackets with the option to add an adj track bar https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspe...x-1351002-RS9000XL-Caster-Correction-KJ-Combo

Here are some pictures
IMG-0883.jpg IMG-0884.jpg IMG-0880.jpg IMG-0882.jpg IMG-0879.jpg

Last edited:
You can get the Rancho coil sport lift paired with the 9000 shocks for $499 or so. It is a nice ride IMO and will allow you to run 35s with trimming your fenders. You will see a night and day difference from the RC lift you have now. Also, you won't need adjustable control arms or new driveshafts. However, I would recommend a front track bar or bracket as well as a rear track bar bracket to recenter your axle.

I recently bought a wrangler (JKU Sahara) and finally got it back from the shop recently because I was in an accident. Now, I didn't notice the rough riding and bump steer it had because I only drove it on smooth roads when I test drove it, and when on a bumpy road it is all over the place. Supposedly the dealer says its a 3-inch rough country lift. I've gotten numerous recommendations to just trash that lift and get a new one, add adjustable control arms or geo brackets, new shocks and coils, adjustable track bars new tie rods and flipping my draglinks. I have minimal idea of what any of this means lol. However, I do know that I need a new lift because the rough country does not ride very smooth. Can I just swap it out with new coils and shocks, preferably the rancho 9000s? I want to keep it at a 2-3 inch lift because I don't plan on going any bigger than the 33s that are on there. I would also add a yeti adj track bar if needed along with geo brackets or some control arms. I only plan to off-road 5-6 times a year. I'm not exactly sure how to address the bump steer. I am tacking it back to the shop tomorrow to get the steering wheel aligned because they didn't align it properly. Should I have them look at the lift, and possibly get the alignment specs?

Heres the shocks and coils I am looking at https://www.quadratec.com/p/rancho/2-inch-progressive-sport-lift-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk

If I do indeed need a whole new lift kit, this is what I am looking at. It includes the rancho 9000s and geo brackets with the option to add an adj track bar https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspe...x-1351002-RS9000XL-Caster-Correction-KJ-Combo

Here are some pictures
View attachment 330448 View attachment 330449 View attachment 330446 View attachment 330447 View attachment 330450

BasClaws

I went back to the shop and had them fix the steering wheel since it wasn't aligned. They recommended that I get an adjustable track bar to help fix my bump steer, but I thought a trackbar was to center the axles? Also, I got my alignment sheet. I will post pictures of it later tonight, but I do know that my caster is like 2.21, which does not sound right.

What I am going to do is buy some rancho geometry brackets to fix the caster, a JKS or superlift adj track bar (I'm not sure which yet there is only a $30 price difference) and the Rancho 2" Sport Suspension System with RS9000 Shocks. It will be about $850 with everything, what do you think?

I have one additional question. Would I need to adjust backspacing or anything with changing my set up like this? Currently, I have 285/65r18 Nitto ridge grapplers on 18-inch rims

BasClaws

So if I get this lift and change from whatever the heck is currently on there to this https://www.quadratec.com/p/rancho/2...ep-wrangler-jk

I know an adj track bar is to re-center the axle. I know that geo brackets are to correct caster. What the heck is a "Drag link flip kit for?" I will explain the problems I am having a little further. If driving on a SMOOTH straight road, doing 75-80 mpg hour, it is beautiful. However, if driving on a rough road or over a rail road track it feels kind of flighty, the tires feel like they are wiggling and going to fly off, and the steering wheel is all over the place. From posting on other forums and from the information gathered here, I've been told to get an adj track bar, geo brackets, and a drag link flip kit. So my question brings me back to that rancho lift. What parts will I need for THAT lift? I have no idea what lift is currently on there, supposedly a cheap rough country 3" lift.

My goal for this is to just get it to be an enjoyable ride. I know I need the adj track bars, and probably the rancho geo brackets. What about this drag link flip kit?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
If you plan on doing any offroad stuff I would skip the geo brackets and look into getting some adjustable front lower control arms. Doesn't sound like you need an adjustable track bar but make sure you have a trackbar relocation bracket installed. As far as your bumpsteer, if you're 3 inches or higher it's recommended to do a draglink flip and that will resolve that issue. EVO has a kit for this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BasClaws

I am not exactly sure what you're asking? Sorry if I came off as rude in any of my posts, no hostility directed towards anyone here I am grateful for all and any help provided :thumb:

If you're asking the model it is a 2014 JKU Sahara. I bought it certified preowned from hertrich and was told it has a 3 inch lift. When I contacted rough country about the shock that is currently on there they stated it is for a 2.5" lift.

Top Bottom