New Dynatrac brakes and rotors question install/wear

draaven

Hey guys and girls!

I just installed the Dynatrac ProGrip brakes over the weekend after installing the Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints (never ever want to do that again) and was wondering what the wear pattern should look like on the new rotors after driving a bit. I’ve gone almost 200 miles and haven’t don’t the last 65mph - 5mph break-in yet. I’ve never really looked at rotors after new ones have been installed in the past. I’ll try to get a picture and add it later of what mine look like, but should the rotors look relatively the same as when they are fresh out of the box and feel smooth? Mine definitely have a wear pattern already with a slight feeling of “grooves” on the majority of the rotor face. Is that normal with the brand new pads, and should it smooth out after the new pads wear in a little, or does it sound like there’s a problem?

Thanks!

Ethan

RCVRY

Hey guys and girls!

I just installed the Dynatrac ProGrip brakes over the weekend after installing the Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints (never ever want to do that again) and was wondering what the wear pattern should look like on the new rotors after driving a bit. I’ve gone almost 200 miles and haven’t don’t the last 65mph - 5mph break-in yet. I’ve never really looked at rotors after new ones have been installed in the past. I’ll try to get a picture and add it later of what mine look like, but should the rotors look relatively the same as when they are fresh out of the box and feel smooth? Mine definitely have a wear pattern already with a slight feeling of “grooves” on the majority of the rotor face. Is that normal with the brand new pads, and should it smooth out after the new pads wear in a little, or does it sound like there’s a problem?

Thanks!

Ethan

They should feel wavy but not grooved. That’s the rotors breaking in to the pads. Kinda how they mesh. The pads are the wear part but you’ll always take a little rotor with them.

No they will never be shiny new from the box again unless you cut them down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

draaven

They should feel wavy but not grooved. That’s the rotors breaking in to the pads. Kinda how they mesh. The pads are the wear part but you’ll always take a little rotor with them.

No they will never be shiny new from the box again unless you cut them down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, I didn’t think they would stay looking new. I just inspected them a little closer, and it looks like it’s mainly the driver rear rotor that’s the worst. There’s no noise or scraping/squeaking/grinding or anything. All the slide pins and boots were greased, etc., and followed the directions precisely. I did just get the tires balanced a day ago, because all the wheel weights came off, so maybe the techs got some dirt or something on the rotors causing something. I don’t know. If it’s just breaking in, then I’ll keep an eye on them to see if it gets any worse. I’d hate to have to replace brand new Dynatrac rotors.

draaven

A few pics...

Here are a few quick pics. The wheels are still on, but you can kinda see what I’m taking about. The 1st pic is the passenger rear. The 2nd pic is the passenger front. The 3rd pic is the driver front. The last pic is the driver rear. That driver rear looks the worst.

Attachments

• 10AE6A19-6BB9-4BCE-BFB4-022E55A79756.jpg
    10AE6A19-6BB9-4BCE-BFB4-022E55A79756.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 5F495E34-DB79-4D98-869D-ECCB08495D8E.jpg
    5F495E34-DB79-4D98-869D-ECCB08495D8E.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 5258DD36-C2DF-4CDF-BA1F-DEEFCA95E923.jpg
    5258DD36-C2DF-4CDF-BA1F-DEEFCA95E923.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DDE2C90D-8275-49A0-BD2D-7ECFF8852559.jpg
    DDE2C90D-8275-49A0-BD2D-7ECFF8852559.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 121

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like something is scraping the rotor that shouldn't be. I would take it apart and re-look at everything. Something isn't right.

draaven

Looks like something is scraping the rotor that shouldn't be. I would take it apart and re-look at everything. Something isn't right.

So, I took off the rear wheel and tire, moved the caliper and took off the pads. The slide pins moved in and out just fine. It didn't seem like there was anything on the pads, and nothing was touching the rotor other than the pads themselves. It looked like there may have been just some brake dust on the rotors and the aggressive texture of the pads creating "what looked like" scoring, but it actually felt pretty smooth once I was able to access it a little better. I put it all back together and just did the last part of the bedding process. All the rotors look perfect now. I think it may have just needed that final break-in procedure to get the pads and rotors to smooth out.

HOWEVER... Now, I am having major issues. Everything seemed like it was working perfectly after that final break-in today until I went to run an errand later that night. The ABS, Hill, and Traction control lights all came on, and the Jeep was struggling for power with some traction control trying to kick in. I turned it off and back on and drove around the neighborhood, and it kept getting traction control feedback feel with the lights still on the dash. Hill descent finally turned off, but the other lights stayed on. I came back and parked to check what it might be. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary... all wheel speed sensors were plugged in and looked fine as far as I could see without taking the wheels off. No error codes when I checked with the 3 key turns. I tried to start and drive, but the same thing happened again. I checked the ABS fuses, and they seemed good. I checked the battery, and it's fully charged. I engaged the parking brake fully and released it. I started it up and drove a little, and the lights went off. I thought it must have just been the emergency brake or something that threw off the sensors.

It was driving fine, so I ran my errand. About an hour later, I got back in the Jeep, and started to drive off, but all of the sudden, power was severely cut, and I could barely go 2 mph. No lights were on this time, but I could feel traction control trying to kick in again. I drove maybe 50 ft in the parking lot, and it still struggled. I attempted to drive a little further, and it started to feel ok. I drove a couple miles, and it was completely fine.

I am guessing it is going to act up again in the and there's a problem somewhere, so any ideas here? I am at a loss. Might be a wheel speed sensor, but I am not sure. I only removed the wheel sensors on the front when installing the brakes and rotors, and they didn't seem to get damaged. The brake pads are touching the rotors, but as I understand it, this is normal. I am pretty sure the emergency brake isn't engaged whatsoever.

Any ideas on what could be causing the cut power/traction control vibrations with no warning lights on the dash? Lights might come back on tomorrow, but the problem is there regardless.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So, I took off the rear wheel and tire, moved the caliper and took off the pads. The slide pins moved in and out just fine. It didn't seem like there was anything on the pads, and nothing was touching the rotor other than the pads themselves. It looked like there may have been just some brake dust on the rotors and the aggressive texture of the pads creating "what looked like" scoring, but it actually felt pretty smooth once I was able to access it a little better. I put it all back together and just did the last part of the bedding process. All the rotors look perfect now. I think it may have just needed that final break-in procedure to get the pads and rotors to smooth out.

HOWEVER... Now, I am having major issues. Everything seemed like it was working perfectly after that final break-in today until I went to run an errand later that night. The ABS, Hill, and Traction control lights all came on, and the Jeep was struggling for power with some traction control trying to kick in. I turned it off and back on and drove around the neighborhood, and it kept getting traction control feedback feel with the lights still on the dash. Hill descent finally turned off, but the other lights stayed on. I came back and parked to check what it might be. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary... all wheel speed sensors were plugged in and looked fine as far as I could see without taking the wheels off. No error codes when I checked with the 3 key turns. I tried to start and drive, but the same thing happened again. I checked the ABS fuses, and they seemed good. I checked the battery, and it's fully charged. I engaged the parking brake fully and released it. I started it up and drove a little, and the lights went off. I thought it must have just been the emergency brake or something that threw off the sensors.

It was driving fine, so I ran my errand. About an hour later, I got back in the Jeep, and started to drive off, but all of the sudden, power was severely cut, and I could barely go 2 mph. No lights were on this time, but I could feel traction control trying to kick in again. I drove maybe 50 ft in the parking lot, and it still struggled. I attempted to drive a little further, and it started to feel ok. I drove a couple miles, and it was completely fine.

I am guessing it is going to act up again in the and there's a problem somewhere, so any ideas here? I am at a loss. Might be a wheel speed sensor, but I am not sure. I only removed the wheel sensors on the front when installing the brakes and rotors, and they didn't seem to get damaged. The brake pads are touching the rotors, but as I understand it, this is normal. I am pretty sure the emergency brake isn't engaged whatsoever.

Any ideas on what could be causing the cut power/traction control vibrations with no warning lights on the dash? Lights might come back on tomorrow, but the problem is there regardless.

Sounds like a bad wheel speed sensor to me. Probably fried the rear one when it got super hot.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I would jack up each wheel and spin it a few times to make sure none are binding on anything.

Top Bottom