Brake up grade

Buster T

So i have been doing some research with my local parts place and we have come up with the following for an upgrade. The 2010 Nitro Master Cylinder and the rotors will fit the jk. The only thing we are trying to figure out if the Calipar brackets will work with the stock Nitro or JK calipers. The caliper numbers are the same for both vehicles. This would be the same as doing a Tera Flex big brake kit. The thing I would like to know is if the Ram truck caliper holders and calipars would bolt on the JK. The Crown automotive and the Mopar kits are using the Ram 1500 brake calipars. So if the Ram 1500 caliper holder works on the JK with the Nitros 13 inch rotors I would have a cheap big brake kit I can put together at my local parts place. The crown number for their big brake kit is 68034720AA but i cannot find a number for the Ram caliper holder.

WJCO

Meme King
So i have been doing some research with my local parts place and we have come up with the following for an upgrade. The 2010 Nitro Master Cylinder and the rotors will fit the jk. The only thing we are trying to figure out if the Calipar brackets will work with the stock Nitro or JK calipers. The caliper numbers are the same for both vehicles. This would be the same as doing a Tera Flex big brake kit. The thing I would like to know is if the Ram truck caliper holders and calipars would bolt on the JK. The Crown automotive and the Mopar kits are using the Ram 1500 brake calipars. So if the Ram 1500 caliper holder works on the JK with the Nitros 13 inch rotors I would have a cheap big brake kit I can put together at my local parts place. The crown number for their big brake kit is 68034720AA but i cannot find a number for the Ram caliper holder.

Why not just buy a kit that's already researched and designed and be done with it? I'm confused. Piecing together a brake kit from several different sources (especially with hydraulics modifications) just doesn't seem like a smart idea. Is this a Canada thing?

Torrin

Meh, take it all back, get a Dynatrac progrip kit and call it day. Silliness to put a franken-brake system together when there is a bang easy solution that works great.

Eloucha

Meh, take it all back, get a Dynatrac progrip kit and call it day. Silliness to put a franken-brake system together when there is a bang easy solution that works great.

Very smart advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jkratt

Yep, ProGrips were a no brainer. Easy install and stops the heavy jeep with 37's better than I thought it would. Why chance a piece together braking system.

trailraider

pay the money for a kit that already done. you'll be much happier in the end while doing it and finding parts down the road. Why piecemeal something together that could potentially harm someone if you do it wrong?

64Chevy

It gets complicated quick. If the calipers have larger volume (more total piston area) you'll have more effective pressure on the pads, but also a longer stroke in the brake pedal, unless you change the master cylinder. If you do that and upgrade to a larger bore master cylinder, that effectively drops your brake line pressure for the same amount of pedal "push" (which you may make up for by increased piston area at the caliper), but because you are moving more fluid it decreased pedal stroke. But then you have to think about upgrading the booster, to make it easier to press harder (thereby getting back some of the brake pressure you lost). Then you have to make sure that caliper brackets space the calipers out far enough to take advantage of the bigger rotor (which I assume these are), make sure they fit inside your wheels, make sure they bolt up appropriately to the hubs. I'm guessing the new rotors are probably a direct fit, but you need to make sure of that as well. Also, when you mess with the pressure side of things, thinking about brake line upgrades (braided stainless, to decrease tubing bulge) may matter--but then you go down the rabbit hole of whether off road grit and dirt, getting in the braided stainless, may cause a brake line failure.

I think there are solutions that do better than the Dynatrac kit, but it will be harder, it will cost more money, and you may end up with parts that you bought and can't use. Plus, brakes is not the best place to be experimenting unless you really know what you are doing.

I think there are solutions that do better than the Dynatrac kit, but it will be harder, it will cost more money, and you may end up with parts that you bought and can't use. Plus, brakes is not the best place to be experimenting unless you really know what you are doing.

+1

It’s different researching brakes for our Jeeps compared with fast cars. We’re pretty limited on options because a 17” wheel is the ideal size for having enough sidewall on our tires.

I have the Dynatrac kit and can say it’s one of the best upgrades I’ve done. I do believe their pad compound makes the biggest difference. It bites well and quiet at cold temps at the cost of lots of brake dust. My rear pads were also replaced at 15k miles.

jesse3638

Hooked
+1

It’s different researching brakes for our Jeeps compared with fast cars. We’re pretty limited on options because a 17” wheel is the ideal size for having enough sidewall on our tires.

I have the Dynatrac kit and can say it’s one of the best upgrades I’ve done. I do believe their pad compound makes the biggest difference. It bites well and quiet at cold temps at the cost of lots of brake dust. My rear pads were also replaced at 15k miles.

I can't remember but have tests been done with the progrirp kit using standard pads or standard brakes using dynatrac pads? I'd be curious to see how that works.

Top Bottom