Drill bit size for PS crusher flares.

Aright folks. About install some PS crusher flares in my JK. I’ve got to drill a dozen or so holes for nutserts and PS says to use a 17/32 drill bit which is .0531 vs a true 1/2 inch. Which is all fine except that fucking size is nearly impossible to find, or at least locally. Thinking of just using a 1/2 drill bit.

Anybody have recommendations or has anyone ran across this and just said fuck it and used a slightly smaller bit?

SLO

If you have to order one anyway, i’d also order a step bit to step up to 1/2” and then do the final hole with the 17/32 bit. Not necessary but helps a lot. I did a pilot hole and a second hole big enough for the first step of the step bit, then the step bit to 1/2” and ended with the 17/32” bit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Can't help you with locating the bit but I was just considering buying these fenders. Let me know how the install goes! I have heard mixed reviews and that you will need a swear bucket.

Aright folks. About install some PS crusher flares in my JK. I’ve got to drill a dozen or so holes for nutserts and PS says to use a 17/32 drill bit which is .0531 vs a true 1/2 inch. Which is all fine except that fucking size is nearly impossible to find, or at least locally. Thinking of just using a 1/2 drill bit.

Anybody have recommendations or has anyone ran across this and just said fuck it and used a slightly smaller bit?

If you have to order one anyway, i’d also order a step bit to step up to 1/2” and then do the final hole with the 17/32 bit. Not necessary but helps a lot. I did a pilot hole and a second hole big enough for the first step of the step bit, then the step bit to 1/2” and ended with the 17/32” bit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exactly what I did

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Can't help you with locating the bit but I was just considering buying these fenders. Let me know how the install goes! I have heard mixed reviews and that you will need a swear bucket.

if you have this tool, no swearing... if you don't have this tool.....get the bucket
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQ...&pd_rd_r=5c96b546-ad08-470d-b010-bfce4e43f3f0

but yeah, there's fitting, marking, removing to drill, refitting, secondary marking for inner support, removing to drill and remounting. so it's a little tedious.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Just use a step bit to 1/2” and don’t press the next level of the step bit in but let it de-bur the hole, you will be able to install the nutsert with a little extra pressure. And you it will also help in not letting the nutsert spin

Just use a step bit to 1/2” and don’t press the next level of the step bit in but let it de-bur the hole, you will be able to install the nutsert with a little extra pressure. And you it will also help in not letting the nutsert spin

Cool thanks. I’m gonna give this a shot tomorrow. I’ll report how it all works out.

Slimebones

Sound advise.

Have some gloves on and long sleeve shirt for the inside nuts on the front fenders. You have to reach next to brake lines on one side and the battery on other side.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

MericaMade

I drilled about 80 holes in mine and will say the a auto punch and a step bit is the best by far.

thombull

Also don’t forget to paint the metal edges of the holes to keep rust from starting and I also used RTV on nutserts so that they would be sealed. I didn’t have any problems with any of them spinning on me.

Top Bottom