Sway bar links are not straight

BasClaws

My JKU was in an accident and the body shop did a questionable job. It was minor damage, tie rod, fender, steering stabilizer, and sway bar links were replaced. Probably some other little stuff too. Ok anyways, I noticed my one sway bar that was NOT damaged, is straight. However, the one they replaced because the bracket was bent really bad, is crooked. What do y'all think? IMG_0957.jpg IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0957.jpg IMG_0957.jpg

Kalums

Looks to me like the sway bar itself may be bent but the shop just replaced the sway bar end link. That would be my guess, but I'm no expert. Does it rub on the frame when compressed?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cpefy3

Does the track bar appear to be adjusted correctly (tire sticking out the same amount on both sides)?

BasClaws

The papers they gave me say sway bar link replaced. How would I compress it to see if it rubs? I did not notice before, but it appears the side with the bent sway bar sticks out maybe a quarter of an inch farther

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

The papers they gave me say sway bar link replaced. How would I compress it to see if it rubs? I did not notice before, but it appears the side with the bent sway bar sticks out maybe a quarter of an inch farther

Disconnect the bottom bolt on both sides and swing the sway bar up you will notice if/when it connects to the frame rail or inner Fender liner. Don't get me wrong your sway bar should not "flex" all the way to the top, but it will be apparent if it hits anywhere, there may be scratches/ rub marks where it is touching.

Kalums

I just realised that they(your shop) may have welded on a new sway bar link bracket to the axle... Maybe that is not straight? *shrug* idk. Looking at your pictures I can see where they're painted the one side.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I always double-check any work anyone else does on my rig. No one is going to take the time or pay attention to the details like you will.

If you have adjustable suspension links, and/or trackbar, I'd suggest starting there making sure your axle is straight and centered. Then measure the position of those sway bar tabs, etc. If you have a lift and the factory trackbar, the axle is going to be offset to the drivers side slightly. Also, your sway bar could have been pushed over not sitting centered in its bushings.

BasClaws

IMG_0963.jpg IMG_0962.jpg

The bracket appears to have a slight bend in it. I called my insurance, and they told me I could get another mechanic to look at it and fix it. I'm also going to have them look at the actual sway bar because it appears to be bent as well. Does anyone know of a good mechanic around eastern shore Maryland or Delaware?

Kalums

View attachment 332249 View attachment 332250

The bracket appears to have a slight bend in it. I called my insurance, and they told me I could get another mechanic to look at it and fix it. I'm also going to have them look at the actual sway bar because it appears to be bent as well. Does anyone know of a good mechanic around eastern shore Maryland or Delaware?

You are right about the bracket... Those welds look like crap too, they look like I welded them [emoji23]. I would definitely have some one else take a look/ fix it.

BasClaws

Haha, those welds are pretty bad, and I'm sure yours are much better! It looks like the weld isn't even fully welded on the left side. I can see a tiny gap, and I will check that tomorrow because if thats the case then I will submit a formal complaint against the Mopar certified body shop that ”repaired” it.

Top Bottom