Best Toe Setting? - Slight Low speed Wander...

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have a slight Wandering feeling at lower speeds that I feel could be better... Once I’m at 50mph and up the Jeep tracks perfect and feels Solid.

I’ve double checked the Toe in and I’m at exactly 1/16” (35” tires). All the steering components have been upgraded except the Unit bearings (which seemed fine when I checked them )

I wouldn’t think pushing the Toe to 1/8 would help.... but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions are appreciated.. thanks.

Triple checked the Toe with levels, equal distance from the Bead Lock Rings. 1/16” exactly.
IMG_1013.jpg
IMG_1014.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn, that's pretty clever!!

That being said, what you have is good. Adjusting more toe won't change what you're feeling. The whole purpose of toe in is that your front tires will want to pull outward when moving forward. This will help to ensure better tire wear. Too much toe in will cause poor tire wear and if anything, cause a poor feel at the wheel as well.

How much caster are you running?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Damn, that's pretty clever!!

That being said, what you have is good. Adjusting more toe won't change what you're feeling. The whole purpose of toe in is that your front tires will want to pull outward when moving forward. This will help to ensure better tire wear. Too much toe in will cause poor tire wear and if anything, cause a poor feel at the wheel as well.

How much caster are you running?

I never thought of that. Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks... not gonna lie, I impressed myself too.. lol

I’m at about 5* of castor.

Slimebones

Anyone thinking of using this method, just be sure the measurement at beadlock ring is exact, and make sure no sidewall lugs interfere. Any variance at beadlock would be greatly exaggerated at outer diameter of tire.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Anyone thinking of using this method, just be sure the measurement at beadlock ring is exact, and make sure no sidewall lugs interfere. Any variance at beadlock would be greatly exaggerated at outer diameter of tire.

I actually did it 3 ways.. 1st lug to lug. 2nd holding the level gently against the tire then used a framing square to mark the Lugs... then 3rd this way. All measured 1/16". If the beadlocks are tight to the Rim... as they should be... and the level sits equal distance from each side from the ring... it should be as accurate as you can get in your driveway with basic tools.

Slimebones

I actually did it 3 ways.. 1st lug to lug. 2nd holding the level gently against the tire then used a framing square to mark the Lugs... then 3rd this way. All measured 1/16". If the beadlocks are tight to the Rim... as they should be... and the level sits equal distance from each side from the ring... it should be as accurate as you can get in your driveway with basic tools.

Agreed, if it is equal distant from the ring

And FWIW: I am totally in agreement with this procedure. glad you posted it. Can't comment as to why the wander issue.

Last edited:

duktrx

I did something similar.

I took scrap 1" PVC and cut 4 identical pieces on my chop saw to use as spacers between the ring and level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom