Manual tranny: leave it in gear or E brake?

TheGrendel

the only choice i make is whether to put it in 1st or R. generally, if there is something in front of me, i put it in reverse and opposite if there is something behind me. that way if i'm not thinking when i start it up and let off the clutch i won't run into something.

Ddays

Hooked
I've never left any of my manuals in neutral while parked. I always parked with with e-brake on and in gear the opposite of the direction the car was on grade, If parked pointed downhill I put in reverse. If pointed uphill I put in first. Not sure that made any difference but that's what I was taught

trailraider

the only choice i make is whether to put it in 1st or R. generally, if there is something in front of me, i put it in reverse and opposite if there is something behind me. that way if i'm not thinking when i start it up and let off the clutch i won't run into something.

I've never left any of my manuals in neutral while parked. I always parked with with e-brake on and in gear the opposite of the direction the car was on grade, If parked pointed downhill I put in reverse. If pointed uphill I put in first. Not sure that made any difference but that's what I was taught

I third both these, I put the park brake on and choose 1st or reverse, for same reasons listed above.

jdofmemi

As posted above is best.

I learned it the hard way at 16, running down a hill chasing my truck after just putting it in gear, and it was not fully engaged. It popped out and headed for a pond. I got it turned and stopped just in time to avoid some serious trouble, since I wasn't supposed to be wheeling the truck anyway.

Always put the brake on as well.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
All of my vehicles are MT and have been for 30 years. Always both. Never an option for me.

jesse3638

Hooked
in gear and e brake set.

What about both? I always leave my MT cars in gear...e-brake in addition when there is any sort of hill.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^^This^^^ Taught my son to do the same thing

This was something I honestly have never thought about bu twill make more of an effort to do so.

I was distracted when parking in my garage last night and actually did not do either. My garage has a slight slope and started to roll backwards as I was getting out..haha. If parking next to a curb on a hill I will turn my wheels accordingly and actually let it roll back or forwards until it bumps the curb like a chock.

As posted above is best.

I learned it the hard way at 16, running down a hill chasing my truck after just putting it in gear, and it was not fully engaged. It popped out and headed for a pond. I got it turned and stopped just in time to avoid some serious trouble, since I wasn't supposed to be wheeling the truck anyway.

Always put the brake on as well.

I watched a coworker do this years ago in a manual pick up. We were honking and pointing trying to get his attention as he walked away and his truck was rolling the opposite direction. He wold have had a parked car to stop his not a pond though...:crazyeyes:

JDDK

always both. had my truck roll when my ebrake slipped.
Also had it happen at work with a clients Ferrari rolling into our work truck. bad day!
and when I was in college we were having brkfst and this guys car rolled down the ramped parkinglot and blew through the glass double entry doors right up to the register. Huge loud explosion with glass everywhere! miracle no one was hurt, but scared the daylights out of everyone. Always both...

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Manual or Auto it should always be both (PARK or in gear). Putting an automatic trans into P essentially locks the trans so it won't turn similar to putting a manual trans in gear. Not setting the brake and just putting the trans in P puts a lot of pressure on things in there. Ever park on a hill in an automatic trans vehicle and not set the brake? You'll usually hear a loud clunk and the shifter will be difficult to put into gear. In an auto I always shift to N, set the brake, release the service brake, let the vehicle settle, then put into P.

G-mansjk

With the trans in gear it'll never go anywhere!!! Trans in gear with the brake on that's properly adjusted definitely going nowhere!!!! Trans in gear with a parking brake in a steep driveway when your wife throws $hit in the cab and knocks it out of gear on a 105 degree day, see for yourself and decide on your own Haha!!! I wouldn't have even known if not for the call from the cops and the pieces of taillight on my bumper on my 91 Chevy!!! Dirty girl ran away from home while I was out playing with the family for the day!!! image_20160528_185723_1464489444445.jpg 20160528_185714_1464489444517.jpg

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

G-mansjk

Like he said it's about the same but in a auto but you have a parking paw locking gears into place inserted of gears meshed... imagine a hammer mech of a gun holding your gears into place that's what is holding your vehicle... strong enough for most instances but weak compared to gears and still hard in release... either way in gear or park with parking brake is easier on all components
Manual or Auto it should always be both (PARK or in gear). Putting an automatic trans into P essentially locks the trans so it won't turn similar to putting a manual trans in gear. Not setting the brake and just putting the trans in P puts a lot of pressure on things in there. Ever park on a hill in an automatic trans vehicle and not set the brake? You'll usually hear a loud clunk and the shifter will be difficult to put into gear. In an auto I always shift to N, set the brake, release the service brake, let the vehicle settle, then put into P.

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

vasquez27

Thanks for sharing guys, all makes sense. I’ve noticed a few times the Jeep wanted to roll with just the E brake so putting into gear at all times is the best

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom