Dealer is screwing me......

Martinrd1

Ok so my jeep has been to the dealer 3 times since june. First time was for a vacuum leak which cost $500, check engine light and riugh idle bit fixed. Second time they told me the issue was caused by an oil leak and switched out the oil cooler $885.....same issues still happening and oil is still leaking. Took it back last monday and was told the oil leak was from the valve cover gaskets.....$740. Plus the starter is not working, which they say could be because of the oil leak as well.

Am i wrong in the assumption that since inhabe already paid close to $1000 for an oil leak and had to bring it back for the same issue that they should only charge me for parts? Also, since they have had my vehicle since last week for the oil leak that wasnt fixed the first time no loaner vehicle was offered and inhad to come out of pocket for a rental.

Does anyone else have advice or similar experience like this?!?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Ok so my jeep has been to the dealer 3 times since june. First time was for a vacuum leak which cost $500, check engine light and riugh idle bit fixed. Second time they told me the issue was caused by an oil leak and switched out the oil cooler $885.....same issues still happening and oil is still leaking. Took it back last monday and was told the oil leak was from the valve cover gaskets.....$740. Plus the starter is not working, which they say could be because of the oil leak as well.

Am i wrong in the assumption that since inhabe already paid close to $1000 for an oil leak and had to bring it back for the same issue that they should only charge me for parts? Also, since they have had my vehicle since last week for the oil leak that wasnt fixed the first time no loaner vehicle was offered and inhad to come out of pocket for a rental.

Does anyone else have advice or similar experience like this?!?

Sucks for sure. Reasons like this are why I refuse to take my vehicles to a dealership for work unless its clearly under warranty. Otherwise it's to a local garage I've used for 30+ years.

I have plenty of similar stories about dealerships. Even proved one charged me for services they didn’t perform.

Good luck in finding a new dealer or shop is all I got.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I agree with Ddays... I’d NEVER go to the dealer unless its for warranty work... they don’t care, are too expensive and just want you frustrated enough to buy a new Vehicle. I’d get a second opinion from a trusted mechanic.

Napalm

As the others have said, stay away from the stealership unless it’s under warranty. Find yourself a nice, reputable shop and never look back!

Martinrd1

Just got off the phone, they are now claiming that the engine cooler was the source of the leak the first time because the engine cooler i had recently installed was the wrong part for my jeep and replaced it. I have a copy of my order that states specifically the oil cooler was for a 3.6l jeep jk. So now im thinking they sold me a part that i never needed and charged me for parts and labor and never fixed the real source of the oil leak at all.
IMG_0685.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Just got off the phone, they are now claiming that the engine cooler was the source of the leak the first time because the engine cooler i had recently installed was the wrong part for my jeep and replaced it. I have a copy of my order that states specifically the oil cooler was for a 3.6l jeep jk. So now im thinking they sold me a part that i never needed and charged me for parts and labor and never fixed the real source of the oil leak at all.
View attachment 332703

Not sure if you are aware but the 2012-13 had one oil cooler and the 14’s and newer have a different one. The only change I’m aware of is the type/style difference in oil filters. I have a 13 and if I have to replace my oil cooler I plan on putting one in for a 14+ to get the new style filter.

I realize that doesn’t necessarily help you out with this stealership.

Martinrd1

Not sure if you are aware but the 2012-13 had one oil cooler and the 14’s and newer have a different one. The only change I’m aware of is the type/style difference in oil filters. I have a 13 and if I have to replace my oil cooler I plan on putting one in for a 14+ to get the new style filter.

I realize that doesn’t necessarily help you out with this stealership.

I know they are interchangable, i did research befofe buying on here.

Tell them to put it on the rack and show you exactly where. And then get some managers involved in cutting you a deal because you’ve been charged and replaced things that haven’t fixed the problem because their techs are playing guessing games.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, maybe it's because I've been in your shoes before, but this thread is exactly the reason I do all my own work. I never let anyone touch my rig. I'll rebuild the motor or trans when it comes to that as well... :p

Good luck with getting them to cut you any deal. My best advice is "never take it back to them". Find a new mech you can trust. :icon_crazy:

Martinrd1

So......talked to the owner if the dealership....end result is they arwnt charging me any parts or labor fees AND are fixing the original issue from back in june for free as well. Kept a cool head, explained why i was upset and we came to an agreement. Even found out the owner knows my gf and is a regular of hers at her restaraunt.

So......talked to the owner if the dealership....end result is they arwnt charging me any parts or labor fees AND are fixing the original issue from back in june for free as well. Kept a cool head, explained why i was upset and we came to an agreement. Even found out the owner knows my gf and is a regular of hers at her restaraunt.

Ha. He didn’t want people messing with his food. 🤣

Hopefully that’s the end of your oil leak saga

naysjp

Caught the Bug
The oil cooler housing replacement should have been done as a warranty replacement. I had an oil leak Dec 2018 on my 2014 JKU and it was the oil cooler housing. It was done as warranty work. I called Chrysler and started a case, then went to the dealership. That part has been redesigned at least 6 times since it is ALMOST always a source of an oil leak. I always took my Jeep to the dealership for oil changes yet they never caught it so I showed all of my receipts in case there was a question.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Ha. He didn’t want people messing with his food. ��

Hopefully that’s the end of your oil leak saga

I am so glad this worked out. I gotta agree in that he was probably scared that would be his last meal if he didn't do you right LOL. Is there a refund coming back from the past work you paid for already? Should be.

Gbint

Having many years as service manager at a dealership I can tell you here’s what you have to say. Dealer.. your oil leaking will cost 885.00. You... if it still leaks I get a refund right, because you were wrong? Dealer.... uh, I guess so!

Top Bottom