Rhino rack backbone / Maximus 3

desertrunner

So in efforts to make my 2 door last a bit longer and take away some frustration with space issues I have been looking at roof racks. I have about 7" of space before I hit my garage door and from everything I have searched I love the look of the back bone system with the pioneer rack and I think it would be perfect for my needs. With that said it would bum me out to not be able to take the top off and have cargo up there. But from the reviews a lot of people seem to be happy with it.
I did come across the Maximus 3 system that uses the pioneer rack so you can take the top off with it but it says 4dr only. Does anyone have any info on why it won't work with the 2dr or could it be modified to fit the 2dr? Looks to me like it mounts to the stock cage for front mounting but couldn't find any good pics of how or how I may be able to modify it as necessary.

For anyone with the backbone and pioneer rack does anyone have any measurements of how high it actually sits off the top? (I know there are a few different feet options too). It would be nice to just leave it on if it will fit.

Personally I'm not a fan of the hoop systems even thought that would let me use it with the top off but I like the low profile of the back bone a lot better

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

rubiDave

The top surface of my pioneer rack with backbone sits 2-1/4 above the center rib of the hard top measured at the rear cross bar.
For perspective I'm running the 3 inch EVO enforcer on a 2 door, about 4-1/4 actual lift. My garage low point is 80 inches. I have about an inch of clearance unloaded with a near empty gas tank. 20190410_170821.jpg 20190410_170745.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Dang that's tight but at least it fits. That's good to know that it sits that low on the hard top though. If it sits less than 3 inches off the top I should have plenty of room. I have a 7' garage door and am 8" from hitting it so I should have room to spare.

Did you have to order those low profile feet separate or did they come with your kit?

Any regrets with that rack?

rubiDave

Dang that's tight but at least it fits. That's good to know that it sits that low on the hard top though. If it sits less than 3 inches off the top I should have plenty of room. I have a 7' garage door and am 8" from hitting it so I should have room to spare.

Did you have to order those low profile feet separate or did they come with your kit?

Any regrets with that rack?

Those are the feet that came with it.

No regrets so far - other than not having it when running topless. I knew that going in, and so far have always put the top on to go camping, so hasn't been an issue.

Before my lift I used to keep my rotopax up there all the time, but I have to remember to remove it before pulling into the garage now.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
The quick release feet are a couple of inches taller than the standard feet.

I’ve got it on s 4 door and it’s been great. I even fitted a eyelet to the centre spar and use that on a winch too lift the hardtop off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I would love to use it to lift the top off too that's another benefit of going with the back bone.

Does anyone have SA on why the Maximus 3 system is 4dr only and can't work with the 2dr?

rubiDave

I would love to use it to lift the top off too that's another benefit of going with the back bone.

Does anyone have SA on why the Maximus 3 system is 4dr only and can't work with the 2dr?

Not for sure, but probably has to do with the cross bar spacing. You might be able to make it work at the expense of removing the freedom panels, but I haven't seen detailed instructions on how the Maximus attaches to the roll bars.

Edit:
I just measured my pioneer platform. Crossbar spacing is 34 inches. So if cross bar mounts attached to the roll bar the front ones would have to go through the freedom panels.

Last edited:

desertrunner

The quick release feet are a couple of inches taller than the standard feet.

I’ve got it on s 4 door and it’s been great. I even fitted a eyelet to the centre spar and use that on a winch too lift the hardtop off.

Do you think the quick release feet are worth having?
I think I would be able to fit still even with those being taller

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

karldb

Hi. I just converted from the quick disconnect to the low profile feet. I can’t get underneath the rack as easily now, but I like how close it sits to the roof. I have about 10” left to park in my garage for a future lift and tires on my 4dr. Taking it off the roof isn’t all that bad - maybe an extra 5-7 minutes over the quick release.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Do you think the quick release feet are worth having?
I think I would be able to fit still even with those being taller

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

For me definitely not as I never take the rack off the hardtop. I just swap to the soft top if I don’t want it on there.

It is very tight to the roof on the standard legs but there is plenty of room for ropes etc.

rubiDave

My neighbor has the quick disconnect mount on his Toyota Tundra. 4-1/2 inch to the top of the rack from the roof. I don't see how those legs would work on the backbone system though.

desertrunner

Hi. I just converted from the quick disconnect to the low profile feet. I can’t get underneath the rack as easily now, but I like how close it sits to the roof. I have about 10” left to park in my garage for a future lift and tires on my 4dr. Taking it off the roof isn’t all that bad - maybe an extra 5-7 minutes over the quick release.

Thanks for the info

So I pulled the trigger on the system with the low profile feet. I figured I probably won't be taking it off and putting it on all that often and if I do find out that I am then I can buy them later.

Looking forward to getting it in

Top Bottom