When to put down a dog?

The BAD Influence

Our 9 year old Springer has a cancerous tumor behind her eye. Currently the only sign is the swelling, nothing has changed in her behavior.
Surgery is not a guaranteed solution with several possible complications.
Medical treatment include her becoming aggressive and incontinent.
Currently she is completely normal. We're leaning towards no treatment or surgery in order to let her be as happy and normal for as long as possible. The day will come when that will change.

Trail JK

Sorry to hear about your springer. We have a springer also that means the world to us who happened to be born with a heart condition. In your position I would make the choice to spoil her while I had her. I’m sure you’ll know when the time comes for her to cross rainbow bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Our 9 year old Springer has a cancerous tumor behind her eye. Currently the only sign is the swelling, nothing has changed in her behavior.
Surgery is not a guaranteed solution with several possible complications.
Medical treatment include her becoming aggressive and incontinent.
Currently she is completely normal. We're leaning towards no treatment or surgery in order to let her be as happy and normal for as long as possible. The day will come when that will change.

That's a hard one OP. I would say when your friend is suffering and there are no other options, that's a good time to think about euthanasia. Sounds like, while maybe not completely comfortable, your pooch is happy for now.

My 13 YO mix dog came down with Lymphoma earlier this summer. Literally went from eating fine to not eating at all within 2.5 weeks. My wife is a veterinary, it took us 1.5 weeks to finally diagnose the issue. He was lethargic and extremely sick with no viable treatment options. I had to say goodbye to my buddy to end his suffering. I still miss him, but I know I did the right thing to end his suffering.

Hug your pooch every day OP. Good luck, hopefully he lives many days to come.

Edit: Fiance, soon to be wife.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sorry to hear about your springer. We have a springer also that means the world to us who happened to be born with a heart condition. In your position I would make the choice to spoil her while I had her. I’m sure you’ll know when the time comes for her to cross rainbow bridge.

Couldn’t agree more with this^^^ my springer tore a ligament in his rear leg and then got cancer a couple years later. He was never the same dog after the surgery but we spoiled the shit out of him till it was time for us to let him cross the bridge. He was 11.

Brute

Hooked
I’m very sorry for you and your family...this is a tough decision. I put down my shepherd Maika’i when the pain in her hips became unbearable...for both of us.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Literally was just having this conversation with my Mom yesterday. Her dog is 15 years old and his back legs are giving out, and for a Lab/Newfoundland mix he has had a good life. Unfortunately he has trouble getting up and down the stairs and his legs give out sometimes when he poops. I will be sad to see him go.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Spoil her like there’s no tomorrow! No matter what decision you make, you’ll always second guess what you chose, but know that you did it all out of love. And know that your pup will always be with you, in your heart.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Sorry to hear but, good counsel above. You’ll know because they’ll let you know when it’s time to let them go and scout the trail ahead for you.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Such a difficult decision and one that I have unfortunately made many, many times. I think taking extraordinary measures that are not likely to return a pet to a high quality of life is not fair to the pet, and most of the time it is really just the owner trying to ease the owner's pain rather than the pet's. At that point, at least for me, it is time to say good bye.

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Just like Clutch said... Spoil them and love them like there's no tomorrow.do what's best for them no matter how much it hurts. Be there til the end I still cry.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using WAYALIFE mobile app

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Such a difficult decision and one that I have unfortunately made many, many times. I think taking extraordinary measures that are not likely to return a pet to a high quality of life is not fair to the pet, and most of the time is really just the owner trying to ease the owner's pain rather than the pet's. At that point, at least for me, it is time to say good bye.

Absolutely agree. My measure has always been quality of life for my canine buddies.

Top Bottom