Driveshaft or pinion play? Looking for a second opinion.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Was greasing all my zerks today and when I went under the jeep to grease the driveshaft I noticed this bit of play not sure if the play at the DS slip yoke is fine but I'm not sure about the pinion though could the pinion nut be loose or maybe the pinion bearing is shot. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/lyk0DYBLbIM

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Take the driveshaft off and check the pinion. Should take less than 10 minutes. Video too shaky to see if there’s play in the shaft, shouldn’t be.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

A.J.

Looks normal to me. That is no indication of backlash FYI lots of people get that confused. Your feeling slack in spider gears and everything that way.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Did ya whack it on something? Is it vibrating? U joints not tight? 2 years isn’t that long imo.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

In all honesty, I feel a bit of play on the slip yoke, it might be nothing but since I already pulled it, I might as well have it at least checked.

I moved to Florida from Puerto Rico with the Jeep close to 60K and it's at 91k now in a little under 2 years. It's seen its fair share of PR and Florida mud and I'm gonna drive close to 1000 miles from FL to Tennessee for the Southeastern Bash so I might be wasting $$ on having it checked and serviced, but it will bring me peace of mind.

UPDATE!! You peaked my curiosity so I got the jeep on the freeway without the driveshaft and a slight vibration (I always chucked to mud tires) the jeep had beyond 65 is now gone and I pushed the jeep up to 80 so it might be good idea for the check up

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Was greasing all my zerks today and when I went under the jeep to grease the driveshaft I noticed this bit of play not sure if the play at the DS slip yoke is fine but I'm not sure about the pinion though could the pinion nut be loose or maybe the pinion bearing is shot. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/lyk0DYBLbIM

The play is in the camera.

Seriously though, sounds like a driveshaft issue.

Top Bottom