Removing Poison Spyder Fenders - Going back to stock

Ajkaz

Has anyone done this successfully? The fronts don't seem to bad as I think most the the hardware went through the factory holes. The rears on the other hand may need bolted to the nutserts.....

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Has anyone done this successfully? The fronts don't seem to bad as I think most the the hardware went through the factory holes. The rears on the other hand may need bolted to the nutserts.....

Why are you going back? Afraid of body damage with them?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ajkaz

Why are you going back? Afraid of body damage with them?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I took them off of my 2 Door and installed them on my 4 door. I'm returning my 2 door to stock for sale. No body damage, I've laid on them twice and they haven't budged or pushed the body in. I have only seen them cause body damage when installed improperly or incomplete. They are also great for standing on when washing or loading the Jeep. I run the narrows in steel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have only seen them cause body damage when installed improperly or incomplete.

No offense but nothing could be further from the truth. I've seen PLENTY of body damaged caused by hard hits to these fenders and most recently at EJS earlier in the year. I even have video of it and install had nothing to do with it. If you haven't done damage to your body, it's because you haven't hit them hard enough. Great looking fenders though.

longarmwj

No offense but nothing could be further from the truth. I've seen PLENTY of body damaged caused by hard hits to these fenders and most recently at EJS earlier in the year. I even have video of it and install had nothing to do with it. If you haven't done damage to your body, it's because you haven't hit them hard enough. Great looking fenders though.

If I’m not mistaking, don’t the poison spyder flares come with a bracket that is designed to absorb the energy from an impact and evenly distribute it so damage doesn’t occur?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I’m not mistaking, don’t the poison spyder flares come with a bracket that is designed to absorb the energy from an impact and evenly distribute it so damage doesn’t occur?

With a big enough hit, it'll still buckle the body especially in the rear. If you haven't seen it happen, you haven't hit them hard enough.

Speaking of poison spyder flares, I had a minor brain fart yesterday. The flare crumpled a little, a few of the welds on the inside broke away and flare pulled away from the fender a little. hahaha......

I'm going to try to see if I can straighten it out with a bottle jack.

Attachments

• 20190829_082101.jpg
    20190829_082101.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190829_082054.jpg
    20190829_082054.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 180

MericaMade

Speaking of poison spyder flares, I had a minor brain fart yesterday. The flare crumpled a little, a few of the welds on the inside broke away and flare pulled away from the fender a little. hahaha......

I'm going to try to see if I can straighten it out with a bottle jack.
What happened??? I keep going back and forth on the fence if I want to go metal or MCE.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkratt

You know what they say when you damage your jeep, "That shit will buff out".:doh:

It really never happens with a great story.

loonies

Good luck. About a year ago, I wanted to take my poison spyder fenders off my 2010 (to go back to stock) before I traded her in for a JL. I tried to get a couple of the hex bolts out. They didn’t budge and stripped easy. I gave up and left them on.

I do bet 5 Illinois salt-filled winters had something to it though...maybe your lucky enough to live in a nice part of the country :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
got distracted backing up. hit a concrete pylon. haha...

Hell leave them on. It’s a good time trying to come up with a good story. I have a dent in my door and I tell people when they ask what happen “ I was on a ledge and bumped into the mountain”. Lol then I tell them it was a damn grocery cart. Lol

Hell leave them on. It’s a good time trying to come up with a good story. I have a dent in my door and I tell people when they ask what happen “ I was on a ledge and bumped into the mountain”. Lol then I tell them it was a damn grocery cart. Lol

hahaha.. sounds like a plan. Maybe i'll say it was a square redwood tree. hahaha.

yeah, I'm going to consider it leaving it as is. I've got to stuff my wheel and make sure it doesn't rub. If it doesn't, i'm just going to hit it with some paint and call it a day. I barely have time to work on the jeep these days. :(

Ajkaz

Your right on not having had any massive hits. I don't trust them enough to land on them from up and down slamming motions but am okay with laying on them when off camber like in a crevice. They have also saved my hard top from walls and trees when I was running narrower offset wheels. Running the narrow fenders they don't tend to get in the way much.
-My stock fenders caused body damage in the rear on passenger side when a rock pinned one and deformed the side of the body.
-My Bushwackers (which were a a huge mistake) caused rear driver side body damage coming down big sluice trying to get around the big tree in the middle.
- I try not to hit stuff with the PSC fenders after beating the others up so much. I also hate having to paint them.

Top Bottom