Anyone running a Midland MXT275? Installation questions...

jorgelrod

Hooked
Hey Guys, I went with a GMRS radio after a quick discussion on the Southeastern Bash thread as a better option for communications on the trail. I chose this unit because it provided 15 Watts at an affordable price and a code someone gave me for 20% at the Midland website. This unit is small enough the it can be hidden under the dash and all the controls are on the mic. Does anyone here have one? How have you guys installed yours if you do?

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Thinking about buying the same radio. Did you ever figure out about a license for the 15watt?

Looking at the FCC regulations for GMRS it says nothing about a minimum power requirement to need a license. Looks like you need one regardless of output power.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I've been eyeing this same radio, I like the 40 watt version but I'm too cheap to pull the trigger on it. The 15 watt unit seems a little more reasonable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Thinking about buying the same radio. Did you ever figure out about a license for the 15watt?

Some people say you need one for 40W and over, others say you need them regardless, most likely you could get away without one but I remember when I was younger and was into CB radios, you'd occasionally cross path with a HAM guy who was a stickler and would bitch and complain and say they report you to the FCC for not following the rules so I just paid the $70 for the license and solved that conundrum. Got my Callsign yesterday.

JK07

I’ve got one but haven’t installed it yet. Thinking I’ll put the radio box behind the dash since the mic has all the controls. I have a Jeep Unique dash mount that will hold the mic. It also holds my handheld ham. I’ll have CB/GMRS/Ham covered. I have the GMRS license already and plan to get a ham license soon. Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
I’ve got one but haven’t installed it yet. Thinking I’ll put the radio box behind the dash since the mic has all the controls. I have a Jeep Unique dash mount that will hold the mic. It also holds my handheld ham. I’ll have CB/GMRS/Ham covered. I have the GMRS license already and plan to get a ham license soon. Subscribed!

I'm just waiting on an antenna mount to get this thing installed. I am on the fence on whether to put it behind the glove box or where this guy placed it in front of the center console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1W22JYSiW0

I like where he's putting it if only to use the built in speaker on the unit which would be useless behind the glove box.

JK07

I'm just waiting on an antenna mount to get this thing installed. I am on the fence on whether to put it behind the glove box or where this guy placed it in front of the center console.

I like where he's putting it if only to use the built in speaker on the unit which would be useless behind the glove box.

That’s a good spot. Unfortunately I have some switches there. Pretty sure the 275 has a speaker in the handheld part as well.

Noble Woodsman

I suggest installing behind the glove box. It's way easier to access, and there is lots of space. I have my Cobra 75 installed behind the glovebox with room to spare, and i am planning to put the midland radio behind the glovebox also right next to the cobra.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom