New Bestop black twill top fit

GeoWillys

I had a local automotive body shop replace my factory black twill soft top with the exact one from Bestop sometime in April. My problem is I cannot get the side windows seated into the channels next to the doors. It is way too tight. I would have done this myself but i needed a heated garage which I don't have.
I emailed Bestop and they just sent me a link to their installers, that is twice they dissed me even as much as everyone here backs them. Not a single word email, just a link. If i would have known they recommended installers i would have used them. But that's not how you treat a$1500 customer!
Back to my issue, as simple as the install looks using already existing frame and hardware I can't understand what they could have done wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Napalm

Sounds like if I am understanding correctly, your windows need to stretch out. Set them out in the sun and leave them for a few hours. Another option would be to put them in and turn on your Jeep and run the heat at max for awhile. I recommend the first one though. Once you get them stretched and installed, leave them and the entire top in place for a week or two to make sure everything gets stretched out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GeoWillys

I wish it was that easy, i had the factory soft top for 4 years so i am familiar with using it.
The original was tight at first and got easier as time went but I could get the channels seated even when it was new. This is not wven close.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I had the same issue, i had to let them get real warm and stretch out. I laid them on the hood of my jk when it was 90 degrees out side for about 2 hours. I was able to install them and left them installed for two weeks. Now, I have no issues at all.

GeoWillys

I just remembered I saved my old windows, going to try those on, those are 5 years old but in good shape. Let you know how it works out.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Sounds like if I am understanding correctly, your windows need to stretch out. Set them out in the sun and leave them for a few hours. Another option would be to put them in and turn on your Jeep and run the heat at max for awhile. I recommend the first one though. Once you get them stretched and installed, leave them and the entire top in place for a week or two to make sure everything gets stretched out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^^^^ This ^^^ I did the turn on the heater trick. Worked like a charm. It was my back window that was a bitch though.

GeoWillys

Well I never would have believed it because those windows were on all summer in the heat but I found my old windows and they fit no problem.
I am going to save the new ones until next summer and put them out in the sun, nothing wrong with the old ones for now.
Thanks for the ideas and guidance.

robbo

I purchased the Replace-A-Top Black Twill for my 2008 JKUR in April, put it on in May (I think). I could never get the side windows to zip all the way up. I usually have the doors and windows off, so it was not that much of a concern, and I have the hard top for the winter.

Decided to try again today, 96 degrees. Let them bake in the sun for an hour, started the zipper a few inches, put the front in the channel, and I was able to zip them up while pulling vigorously on the back edge.

The front is still not in all the way, the top is slightly out of the channel.

It may help to have an extra set of hands, pulling and stretching with two hands while the other person works the zipper.

I wish the Supertop Ultra would have been out then, I would have gone zipperless instead. I haven't seen anybody try it on the JK yet.

Hi...
I did the same thing.... I had the same issue on my 2017 JKU...

I know this may be something very simple, but are you using the BESTOP door trim pieces?
I didn’t use them for that first week thinking they were the same things... They actually aren’t.
The have a different fit. Once I switched, it was so easy to fit them.
Just my experience trying to help.

The BESTOP ones have the “B” on the top of the trim piece that folds.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom