Help needed Jeep wont start. What am I forgetting to check? Video link.

ttfhell

Washed jeep, pulled in garage. Pulled off thrashed stock bumper and rear view camera that was attached. Replaced bumper while rock lights on. Maybe ten minutes. Wouldn't start. Single click when trying. All dash lights and even headlights looked bright. Tried jumping with my truck no luck. Charged over night, charger says charged, same noise. Checked each fuse, M2 blown, replaced. Repeated all steps above, same noise, no result. Checked battery connections, all tight, fuses good. Tried in neutral for the hell of it no change. Tried jumping again, no luck. Video attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Russ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtpK3YvgXY8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Washed jeep, pulled in garage. Pulled off thrashed stock bumper and rear view camera that was attached. Replaced bumper while rock lights on. Maybe ten minutes. Wouldn't start. Single click when trying. All dash lights and even headlights looked bright. Tried jumping with my truck no luck. Charged over night, charger says charged, same noise. Checked each fuse, M2 blown, replaced. Repeated all steps above, same noise, no result. Checked battery connections, all tight, fuses good. Tried in neutral for the hell of it no change. Tried jumping again, no luck. Video attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Russ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtpK3YvgXY8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That's an odd one. Did you spray the engine compartment when you washed it?.. But you pulled it into the garage after washing outside...Hmm Starter problem? Is this a new Jeep? Dash looked like a 12.

If the battery is good then your lights won't be an issue. Maybe something with the starter or the computer... I'd use a volt meter on the battery to make sure it was good first thing. You might tap on the starter with something and try again. I've seen starter issues like this before. :twocents:

Good luck!

Edit: What is the M2 fuse for?

LGPow2006

Is it possible that removing the back up camera created a computer issue? I was very surprised when I replaced the stock receiver and had to interface with CMOS. Maybe try to reconnect camera? Or/and disconnect battery for an hour or too to reset computer

ttfhell

That's an odd one. Did you spray the engine compartment when you washed it?.. But you pulled it into the garage after washing outside...Hmm Starter problem? Is this a new Jeep? Dash looked like a 12.

If the battery is good then your lights won't be an issue. Maybe something with the starter or the computer... I'd use a volt meter on the battery to make sure it was good first thing. You might tap on the starter with something and try again. I've seen starter issues like this before. :twocents:

Good luck!

Edit: What is the M2 fuse for?

2012. Lightly sprayed engine but it started an hour later when I pulled it in garage.
M2- Shows a few things on the fuse chart-fog lights as well as VAC pump.
Thx

ttfhell

Is it possible that removing the back up camera created a computer issue? I was very surprised when I replaced the stock receiver and had to interface with CMOS. Maybe try to reconnect camera? Or/and disconnect battery for an hour or too to reset computer

The camera was torn off. Wires taped off. I unplugged battery overnight when charging. I'm clueless right now.

mn jk jeeper

try to turn the key on and cycle the tranny through all the gears
then return to park try to start as normal
if no go try neutral
sounds like a safety switch issue

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
The camera was torn off. Wires taped off. I unplugged battery overnight when charging. I'm clueless right now.

PM Miramontes he had this same issue and it was like an ignition kills switch or something like that. Dealer fixed it for a fee. Perhaps he'll chime in here.

Miramontes

Yeah mine was doing the same thing. The computer is note letting it start. Mine was a ignition disable module used for security. It was 300.00 at the dealer. Mine had to be done at the dealer for the module to be programmed. My dealer gives a ten percent discount to AAA members.

ttfhell

Yeah mine was doing the same thing. The computer is note letting it start. Mine was a ignition disable module used for security. It was 300.00 at the dealer. Mine had to be done at the dealer for the module to be programmed. My dealer gives a ten percent discount to AAA members.

What dealer? I'm in Fontana so if I have to get it towed probably going to Ontario Jeep.
Thx

If my memory serves me, when the starter goes bad, it generally makes a faster click-click-click-click sound instead of the slower sound you are experiencing. I think it may be a computer problem unfortunately. But it is strange that it just all of a sudden did it. Good Luck at Ontario Jeep! Hope they get you fixed quickly.

ttfhell

If my memory serves me, when the starter goes bad, it generally makes a faster click-click-click-click sound instead of the slower sound you are experiencing. I think it may be a computer problem unfortunately. But it is strange that it just all of a sudden did it. Good Luck at Ontario Jeep! Hope they get you fixed quickly.

Checking all the grounds now and going to call it quits.
Thx

ttfhell

Tapped on starter a bit and checked all the grounds on the fender wells, even tried the remote start for shits and giggles. same result. I quit this bitch for the night. Thanks for the replies.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You did nothing to check if it's not the battery itself. Try sticking your truck battery in there and see if it starts. You need to eliminate variables.

Top Bottom