sector shaft brace

bl17z90

I have been hearing about this product lately and was curious if there really is a need for one when going to 35's on the jk. I know a sector shaft break on the trail is a horrible thing to deal with (props to Eddie for telling that story) and if it is something that I will be at risk of than I really want to do whatever I can to avoid it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been hearing about this product lately and was curious if there really is a need for one when going to 35's on the jk. I know a sector shaft break on the trail is a horrible thing to deal with (props to Eddie for telling that story) and if it is something that I will be at risk of than I really want to do whatever I can to avoid it.

In spite of the break I had, I still don't run one. That should tell you a lot.

bl17z90

So with a good steering shock I should be fine? The one I have is actually about to go in the trash.....Crappy Rusty's junk

So with a good steering shock I should be fine? The one I have is actually about to go in the trash.....Crappy Rusty's junk

no, your steering stabilizer is different than steering assist. i too would like to know "when" a brace is needed or recommended.

andrew -

bl17z90

I didn't mean they were the same. What i meant though, will a good stabalizerhelp reduce stress on the shaft?

no sir it wont. you should actually be able to drive your jeep sans stabilizer without issue. the brace is to help reduce pressure on the shaft and box i believe....:confused:

andrew -

and if i am not mistaken, you cant run it on EVOs dragflip anyways. it is to be ran with a drop down bracket setup.... this is what i heard

andrew -

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At what point, if any, would you recommend it? For example, running 37s and no steering assist? :thinking:

I should clarify that I'm not 100% convinced that they'll make a difference or even help to prevent the kind of breaks I've seen which have clearly been a twisting break. I should also note that sector shaft breaks as a whole are pretty uncommon and while I've actually seen a couple break and have even had one go on me, I personally feel they have been the exception and not the rule. Needless to say, I don't like buying things out of hype or over exaggerated fears and it is the reason why I typically do not even recommend axle sleeves. While we ran 35's, we didn't run a brace and didn't even when when running 37's without a ram assist. Yes, Rubicat has a PSC installed but, it doesn't work due to the fact that it doesn't have the pump or reservoir installed with it - we do not run a brace for it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, is it difficult turning those 37's without the assist?

It could be easier but far from impossible. We ran Moby like that for a long time too and while it can be difficult to park in tight spots at the mall or negotiate your way around tough rock obstacles, it can be done.

i have 37s on my d30 and i have no problem turning them. just gotta remember that you have to be moving a lil...:D now my km2s are lighter than nittos, but i cant imagine that 8-10 lbs per side making that much difference

andrew -

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i have 37s on my d30 and i have no problem turning them. just gotta remember that you have to be moving a lil...:D now my km2s are lighter than nittos, but i cant imagine that 8-10 lbs per side making that much difference

andrew -

LOL!! Exactly and no, 8-10 lbs per side won't make a bit of difference. Like you said, you just need to be moving a little :D

Cant be nervous... just gotta put on your bigboy pants everyday and be so very gentle! I too want a PR44 but hell, I want a whole bunch of sh*t that I cant afford yet.

Top Bottom