Teardrop trailer build, one drop at a time

Spazbyt

Hooked
So I decided to build a teardrop trailer to tow behind Manivan. Ok full disclosure, I'm not a fabricator or a wood smith so you can expect this build to be slow. I will be working on the camper when I'm slow at work and maybe some weekends. My goal is to build a cheapish easy to assemble teardrop trailer within the next few years. I'm not looking to build a hardcore offroad trailer but rather something that can handle some easy trails and back roads. This build will be less of a "overlander" trailer and more of a "base camp" set up. Luckily I have access to a large CNC router at my work so I will be utilizing this as much as possible. I will try and post any progress I make and look forward to any incite or experience you guys may have.

This is what I got so far. This is my trailer frame design made from .188" thick 2"x2" square tube. With .250 plate steel corner reinforcement/body mounts. I have simulated a 33"x11.5"x17" tire approximately where the axle spindles will be mounted.
20191014_141555[1].jpg
The majority of the trailer will be constructed from exterior grade plywood.
20191011_094324[2].jpg
This is the cutting of the internal frame for the rear hatch. My thought was that because hatch will require almost all of the different building techniques it would make a good test piece to work out any kinks.
20191017_152510[1].jpg
20191017_165448[1].jpg
Test fitting the rear hatch.
20191021_134349[1].jpg
This is not actually a wall for the trailer but more of a template for the internal cabinets, joists, shelves, screw hole locations etc. I will use this to test fit everything before chopping a good piece of plywood up.
20191021_134220[1].jpg

That's all I got around to this week. next week I plan on bending and attaching the external plywood to the rear hatch.
Thanks guys for following along one drop at a time.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Great project! I’ve thought about that myself. It will be great to watch your progress! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ddays

Hooked
Great project! That's really cool that you have access to that router. Can't wait to see the finished product :thumb:

Spazbyt

Hooked
Great project! I’ve thought about that myself. It will be great to watch your progress! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely cool to watch this come together. Good luck!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That's cool.

Great project! That's really cool that you have access to that router. Can't wait to see the finished product :thumb:

Pretty cool project. Keep us posted as you go.

Looks like an awesome project! I’ll be following.

Awesome project! Can’t wait to see how it goes!

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I already ran into a snag this week. The Plywood manufacture specifically states they are carried by Home Depot and they can special order any of their products. So yesterday I go into my home depot and of coarse they look at me like I'm crazy :doh:. I'm going to give the manufacture a call this week and see if they cant get this smoothed out.

BaddestCross

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I already ran into a snag this week. The Plywood manufacture specifically states they are carried by Home Depot and they can special order any of their products. So yesterday I go into my home depot and of coarse they look at me like I'm crazy :doh:. I'm going to give the manufacture a call this week and see if they cant get this smoothed out.
Probably need to talk to the Pro desk.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Spazbyt

Hooked
I got the cabin and galley cabinets cut out today. I used 1/2" birtch plywood to make the boxs. I plan on finishing the cabinets with a simple light sanding and some natural tone tung oil. Next I will need to make some doors and shelfs. After finishing the cabinets I will start cutting the walls and floor then assembly "should" go fairly quick. 20191201_133327.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Spazbyt

Hooked
Cabinets are assembled! Now for some doors and shelves.
20191212_131740[1].jpg
I like the oil finish because its easy but after my test piece I'm thinking I am going need a few more cans. I'm hoping that after the first coat it wont need so much oil on subsequent coats.
20191212_160354[1].jpg

Top Bottom