Lower control arms

Jimmypaget

I recently acquired a pair of evo front lower control arms for my jk. Is it ok to install them while the jeep is on the ground and not on a lift? I figured just take the stock ones off, measure bolt holes and match the evo ones and bolt up. Am I missing anything?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

I recently acquired a pair of evo front lower control arms for my jk. Is it ok to install them while the jeep is on the ground and not on a lift? I figured just take the stock ones off, measure bolt holes and match the evo ones and bolt up. Am I missing anything?

Are you adjusting caster for a lift or anything? If you take them both off with the Jeep on the ground you won’t like what happens. Put it up on jackstands before you do this please

wjtstudios

Hooked
You can take off one at a time and swap them without putting it up on jacks. Chalk the wheels so they don’t move. If you need to get the holes lined up exact time get the bolt thru, a ratchet strap is a good tool to draw the axle in with small incriminates.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jimmypaget

Yes so I planned on doing them one at a time. I do have a lift (3.5” came on the jeep at time of purchase). Should I attempt to adjust for the lift height? It currently rides and handles just fine with the stock LCA’s installed. I was just going to make the evo arms the same length as the factory arm.

TrailHunter

Hooked

Doing the same thing right now (rear lowers) .... one side at a time... pulled off the stock.... put the bolts through the arm on the bench... adjust the new arm to fit over the bolts... double check with a tape measure... Bolt up the new arm. I used Jacks and removed the wheel... just because its a little easier.

JKbrick

Yes so I planned on doing them one at a time. I do have a lift (3.5” came on the jeep at time of purchase). Should I attempt to adjust for the lift height? It currently rides and handles just fine with the stock LCA’s installed. I was just going to make the evo arms the same length as the factory arm.

If you have 3.5” of lift and no correction brackets but factory arms you should correct your caster with the new arms. But the EVO are adjustable on the Jeep so put them on one at a time then adjust them after they are both on

If you take them both off with the Jeep on the ground you won’t like what happens.

[emoji38]

Yea I like putting 4 jack stands under the frame, and putting 2 floor jacks under the axle so you can manipulate the driver and passenger side up and down very precisely. I like to jack the jeep up just enough to get the front wheels off and then rest it back down on the jack stands under the frame at about ride height. I also like to use a bottle jack just underneath the pinion on the diff case. A little bit of pressure can rotate the axle and line up your LCA bolts perfectly for easy removal. One at a time, as mentioned...
I also slide a wheel or two under the jeep for the just in case factor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

CalSgt

Hooked
My EVO directions came with a recommended starting length for the control arms on my JL...

EVO recommends 22 7/8" center to center (as a starting point) for the 3" enforcer LCA's on JK

Top Bottom