5.38 Gears for my Yellow Rubi

Ruan69

After a long deliberation and tons of research I decided to have 5.13 gears installed on the Rubi. I ordered the gears from one of our local suppliers and played the waiting game.

Finally they arrived:clap2: and I was shocked to see that I was sent a set of 5.38's instead. Now my dilemma was do I send them back and wait some more or do I have these installed...

Got my baby back from the installer about a week ago and I have just completed the run in process, drained the oil, found a bit of metal filings on the magnet but all seems well.

I cant believe what a huge difference the gears make on the 3.8L... I am really happy I decided to go with the 5.38's. Now I have to change the tyres to at least a 35"

it Never ends does it??? :thumb:

rizzicon

Awesome, I am buying 37" tries and I was going to get the 5.13's. But I was told the 5.38's will be better. Cant wait to get them installed.

Moochie

I have 5:13's with my 37's, works great. You can go 5:38's but, there is a greater chance of gear failure.

Ruan69

I have 5:13's with my 37's, works great. You can go 5:38's but, there is a greater chance of gear failure.

Interesting... What would the cause be for that?

I have read somewhere that the lower ratios go, the less contact you have between your ring and pinion teeth...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I have read somewhere that the lower ratios go, the less contact you have between your ring and pinion teeth...

Exactly. The Ring and pinion gets smaller and smaller the higher (but actually lower) you go.

Moochie

5:38's in a D44 will leave your ring and pinion as your weak link because of the extremely small pinion size.

Ruan69

I will have to take extreme care then! They did not come cheap and the installer made sure his share was just as expensive!!!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Did you get 5.38's or 5.13's? The titles says 5.38's but your first post says 5.13's. :thinking:

Never mind. Reread the first post.

Top Bottom