The Dilemma

Dannyboy76

Alright here is my dilemma, I have saved money to get a lot done on my Jeep. So I can either can the 2.5 lift kit that I want and the tires and that would be it. Or I can get the less expensive lift kit, which will still allow me to go a little trials, take the extra money and buy some other accessories, such as fog lights, seat cover and other things. I would like to know what some of you think?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Get the lift you want if it means you can go where you want to go and the other one will not let you. I could live without seat covers. :)

aldaman

x2, get the right quality lift and tires first, then save some money for the little add ons. I've heard of so many horror stories of having to replace some lifts when the cheap route was taken and that was Money wasted....

DanMojo82

Lift and tires then just start saving up for the rest. Those two are the expensive part, saving up for seat covers and fog lights should be quick in comparison.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
agreed lift and tires are a mist first buy. the other stuff will be a lot cheaper and easier to throw on little by little when your ready

Lobo6

dilema

Get the suspension that you really want. Then the tires. The little things will happen as needed. Don't worry about "jewelry" like fog lights! Unless you are spending big bucks for high quality lighting, it's just a vanity issue. Use your funds for basic "hard parts" that make your Jeep functional. Many of us have been where you are at! Also..on the basics, don't cut corners to save money! Build it right the first time, make it solid the first time!
Now if you are building a "poser" type street Jeep like we see a lot of here in Washington State, go for all the pretty stuff! Get a mild lift, add many items that can be easily torn off by the trees around here and enjoy driving on the streets! (it's very obvious to us wheelers around here as to who uses their Jeep and who pretends to use it!)
But I think if you are on this website you are a real wheeler so ignore my above comment!
But seriously, invest in a good suspension system.

bl17z90

Unless your getting coilovers and dynatrac axles the tires will be the most expensive thing you buy for your Jeep and they will give your axles more clearance which is very important. Having said that you don't want a cheap lift either so if you have already picked out a lift and you know it will perform well than you should get both of those things and than get the other accessories as time goes on.

LGPow2006

I bought my Jeep used. Had the factory street tires on it. I saved up and got me 33x1250 (and discovered it had a lift) all at the same time... the biggest most rewarding thing I did was the tires... it allowed me to start using my Jeep as I feel it was intended to be used. Then as budget permitted I started down the path of recovery needed items (winch capable bumper and winch etc). Aftermarket lighting was almost forced upon me because of how poor the factory lights worked in the desert at night.

Lots of cheep things can be done to personalize you ride... but they can all be done on as as needed or afford basis.

One member here told me... Budget vs Need vs want ... we all want 4 in with 37s but do we really have the budget to do that or is our budget more suited to the need side of things... I have found my Jeep to be the most capable thing I have ever drove with the 2.5 BB and 33s... I ask myself.. do I really need to upgrade all those things to go to 37s or do I just want to.

Good luck with your build... but build it for you and what you want to do with your rig not for what you think others will do.

i agree with the rest of these wise fellows, get your lift done first and the way you want it! things like seat covers and hi-lift can wait. get your jeep to sit/ride how you want it to and then build from there. you will be frustrated if you "settle" on something that you just end up replacing later!

andrew -

Dannyboy76

LGPow2006- Well put, And thanks to everyone else for your opinions. And I think I am going to go this way. It is the better way. I am not the type of person that is happy settling for second best so to speak.

Top Bottom