Well wearing light tire

bl17z90

I have had my heart set on the Nitto Trail Grapplers due to their sweet appearance, low noise level, and great off and on road handling. But lately I have been hearing people say that they are heavier tires which I didn't think would be a problem but I only have 3.73's and don't want to regear.

So my question, is there another well wearing solid built mud terrain that is on the quieter side and isn't too heavy?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have mud grapplers in a 35 and have 3.73's. I was cruising at 85 this past weekend on the highway. Its really not bad.

bl17z90

You have a 3.6 right? I wonder how much that really plays in....and I would love to get muds but it also would be badfor me since i am on the highway 90% of the time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: I just love all the lame things you will hear "people say" on the internet.

Just so that we're all on the same page here, I just wanted to make sure you realize that the difference in weight between the lightest 35" tire and the heaviest is only about 5-8 lbs. max per tire. Trust me, it's no where near enough to make a difference. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
:cheesy: I just love all the lame things you will hear people say on the internet.

Just so that we're all on the same page here, I just wanted to make sure you realize that the difference in weight between the lightest 35" tire and the heaviest is only about 5-8 lbs. max per tire. Trust me, it's no where near enough to make a difference. :yup:

Well that is 40 whole pounds on a 6000 pound vehicle. That's like 0.007 percent of the total weight. :cheesy::cheesy:

Bigfoot

:eek: 40 bls. now what!:idontknow::cheesy:
In theory there is a difference between unsprung and sprung weight. Saving 40 lbs. of unsprung weight by making an informed decision doesn't seem to be a bad idea if you are going to buy a new set of tires anyway. Do some research on "unsprung weight" if you got confused by too many negative comments on heavy tires!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In theory there is a difference between unsprung and sprung weight. Saving 40 lbs. of unsprung weight by making an informed decision doesn't seem to be a bad idea if you are going to buy a new set of tires anyway. Do some research on "unsprung weight" if you got confused by too many negative comments on heavy tires!

:cheesy: Is it possible for you to just speak in plain English? Or, is this just how people with "common sense" always speak? Seriously, I've read what you just said three times and I'm still not sure what you're saying!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
As I said earlier, it's less then a tenth of a percent. I'm all for saving weight but a tenth of a percent is nothing.

Go buy the lighter 33's and ill keep my "heavy" 35's an we will see who gets farther. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As I said earlier, it's less then a tenth of a percent. I'm all for saving weight but a tenth of a percent is nothing.

Go buy the lighter 33's and ill keep my "heavy" 35's an we will see who gets farther. :yup:

Funny thing is, I'm pushing wheels and tires that weigh almost 200 lbs. a piece and on ProRock 60's front and rear that weigh maybe 700 lbs. or more each and still running a 3.8L motor and people still can't keep up with me on pavement. Of course, on the trail, unsprung weight is your friend as it'll help you to keep all four on the floor. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Funny thing is, I'm pushing wheels and tires that weigh almost 200 lbs. a piece and on ProRock 60's front and rear that weigh maybe 700 lbs. or more each and still running a 3.8L motor and people still can't keep up with me on pavement. Of course, on the trail, unsprung weight is your friend as it'll help you to keep all four on the floor. :yup:

Truth!

And that last comment was for unsprung weight guy not you.

SoCalDozer

I understand the un sprung weight thing as it plays a big factor in actual track cars. Key word there "track". But on a jeep that is already a brick on wheels there is no point in picking a tire just based on weight since it will not make the slightest difference.
And the un sprung weight thing as far as race cars go removing 10lbs on your wheels and tires is about like taking 100lbs off the car it's self.
But again this is for track cars and will not make a difference at all in a jeep.
Only reason I knew about this stuff was I used to do auto cross a few years back.

gtony12

Caught the Bug

:thumb::thumb::cheesy::cheesy:

Top Bottom