Advantages disadvantages of a 4 door

LGPow2006

Watching my 6 ft tall son climb into the back seat of my 2 door leads me to believe that a 4 door would be the better choice if you ever thought you might want to take a 3rd adult size person wheeling with you. :twocents:

Rivertoys

I can't imagine having a 2dr (as I do) and not a some point saying, "taking all this crap would of been no problem if I got the 4dr....."
doh.gif

None the less, even with a family of 4 (including a growing son approaching 6') I am very happy with the short wheelbase and all tight places I can venture with it. I have just always prefered short wheelbase for off-roading. Packing it does require some forethought and it helps if you were a Tetris Master in the 80's......

Like I say, 2dr = 2ppl for the weekend, or 4 for the day.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I prefer the 4DR for multiple reasons. Looks, I can take more people, overall more room. Its so much easier to open the rear door to put my daughter in her car seat. I love that can sleep in the back of it. I just prefer the longer wheel base in general. Both models are capable to go anywhere. Most people like the 2DR for tradition, but I think Jeep did an excellent job with the 4DR. The engine for the 07-11 is kind of a turd, but in 4lo it doesnt matter much. Damn things will go almost anywhere!

Paratroopers stay up longer!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have to agree with Rivertoys, you CAN NOT do Costco runs or IKEA runs in a 2 door. it is hard! that being said i love my 2 door. Its just me in it 60% of the time and other than that its my Girlfriend and i. I like it for what it is i just wish i had the cash for a Rubi when i got it so i didnt run into the dilema im in now with having to upgrade my axles for bigger tires at somepoint

Rivertoys

I sat outside a Sears for about 20 minutes one time watching the employees help the owner try to put a LARGE box in a 2-door hard-top. That was good entertainment while it lasted.... they finally rolled the box back into the store, and the guy drove off to get another vehicle.

Tackerdown

Banned
Did you watch the JK Experience I don't think you need to worry about any environment with either of them. I you want room 4 door if not 2 door

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've owned and wheeled both and prefer a 4-door in all terrain except for densely planted forests with tightly planted trees.

Jersey_Devil

Advantages- too many to list, I love it!

Disadvantages- only one, the roll cage isn't supported behind the rear doors and during a roll over the ppl back there are SCREWED!

0824021644.jpg

0824021644a.jpg

Look at my cage sitting lower than the headrests, if anyone was back there when I rolled they woulda had a serious headache!

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Ummm, I guess you cant argue that one.. I have seen those pics on other threads, but is there a way we can reinforce the stock cage or do we have to install an entirely new cage? Eddie? EVO? Anybody? Lol

Bbreen724

I've had both and loved them both but with 3 kids a 4 door was the way to go. We pack it up every year and head to Cape Cod for a week. We all fit comfortably with all our gear. Plus as the others said you can't go to Costco or BJs club in a 2 door, not enough room!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Ummm, I guess you cant argue that one.. I have seen those pics on other threads, but is there a way we can reinforce the stock cage or do we have to install an entirely new cage? Eddie? EVO? Anybody? Lol

It will not be as strong as a full weld in cage that ties to the frame, but this is going into my jeep next. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363816495.122131.jpg

As far as I know poison spyder is the only one making a c-pillar reinforcement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom