E-brake help

FrankenJeeper

I pulled my e-brake yesterday when parking on a hill, and when I pulled it up, it made a loud pop and now I have no e-brake.

I searched a little and couldn't find much other than its common for the clutch spring to fail.

Does anyone know of any write ups that will assist in removing the console to fix this and that address the replacement of the e-brake? And by chance does anyone have a part #?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

2010 JKU
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

FrankenJeeper

I found this with google: <http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58089>

Me e-brake popped and doesn't work at all. According to this write up, there's a funky spring in there that is prone to breaking. And it covers how to remove the center console as well. I didn't think it would be that easy.

2010 JKU
1977 CJ5

FrankenJeeper

Part # for the e-brake assembly is 52059887AB

Local dealership has it for $79.99.

Morris 4x4 Center has it for $59.99.

2010 JKU
1977 CJ5

rinkishjk

I've replaced my ebrake Assy 3 times.
U really don't need to remove the console, or shifter knobs.
Remove the 4 large torx bolts holding the console to the floor.
Then pull the brake handle up all the way, and lift the rear of the console and prop it up so u can work.
There's the brake light switch u have to remove, and 4 13 mm nuts. Then remove the two brake cables and remove the unit.
When u install the new one there is a metal pin, for lack of better words, that u do not want to remove until the brake cables are hooked up, and your ready to lower the console. That "pin" releases the clutch spring, so the last step before lowering console is remove the pin with handle down, and then pull up and slide console down.

I've replaced my ebrake Assy 3 times.
U really don't need to remove the console, or shifter knobs.
Remove the 4 large torx bolts holding the console to the floor.
Then pull the brake handle up all the way, and lift the rear of the console and prop it up so u can work.
There's the brake light switch u have to remove, and 4 13 mm nuts. Then remove the two brake cables and remove the unit.
When u install the new one there is a metal pin, for lack of better words, that u do not want to remove until the brake cables are hooked up, and your ready to lower the console. That "pin" releases the clutch spring, so the last step before lowering console is remove the pin with handle down, and then pull up and slide console down.

yep. I have replaced mine a few times now. :icon_crazy:

Ctowns

I just completed this.

Tip - if you do remove the console don't take out the keeper pin on the new handle until you have the console fully re-installed or you wont be able to raise the e-brake handle high enough to reseat the console.

Top Bottom