EVO 1/4 Pounder and Warn Powerplant

Does anyone have any pics of the install or tips on getting these to fit :-D

I mounted mine on the bumper just fine and everything worked perfectly until I tried to put on frame brackets. The winch kept hitting the inner part of the bracket. I figure I can grind some of it down but there isn't a whole lot there to grind off.

The other thing was possibly trying to drop it in after the bumper was mounted but not sure there is enough room to secure the bolts for the winch.

I am looking for any info or tips that you may have used to get yours to fit/install. Thanks :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't already done so, remove your front grill and try installing the winch after the bumper is on. It's a tight fit but, you'll have a lot more working room with the grill off.

GCM 2

You are not alone! Unfortunately even though the EVO 1/4 pounder is probably dimensionally accurate from bumper to bumper when they come off the line, your jeep's frame horns and how much you trim all add to things turning out a little different than my rig, Moby, RubiCat or anyone else's 1/4 pounder install. I don't have any really good photos showing my install I did a home alone, but here is one that I tried to zoom in on so you can see where I did some minor grinding on the PowerPlant's aluminum case. Here are the steps I took:
- I bolted the bumper on first, without the winch.
- attached my Hawse fairlead next
- then ran the unspooled winch line end (the one that attaches to the drum) thru the front of the fairlead and bumper back to the winch on the floor of the garage
- attach the winch line to winch drum
- place winch in bumper and pull winch line slack thru, do a test fit to see if the two rear bolt holes line up
- if holes do not line up, decide if you are going to trim the bumper to enlarge the area where winch will fit, or if you can do like me and grind with a flapper wheel just a little from the winch case.
- this may take a few mock ups of the winch in the bumper before you get it to fit just right

In my photo, look at the lower left corner of where the winch meets the top edge of the bumper recess( near the left side of the stinger). You should see a bright, reflective Strip about 3-4" long and 1" thick to the left of where the chrome control knob for air or winch is located. This is the area I ground flat to allow winch to slip in to the recess

Attachments

• image-3569619318.jpg
    image-3569619318.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
Thank you guys! Between the two ideas I'm sure ill get it on :yep: Doing it alone was not fun and not having it just "jump" into place didn't help haha. I will let ya know how it goes :-D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You are not alone! Unfortunately even though the EVO 1/4 pounder is probably dimensionally accurate from bumper to bumper when they come off the line, your jeep's frame horns and how much you trim all add to things turning out a little different than my rig, Moby, RubiCat or anyone else's 1/4 pounder install. I don't have any really good photos showing my install I did a home alone, but here is one that I tried to zoom in on so you can see where I did some minor grinding on the PowerPlant's aluminum case. Here are the steps I took:
- I bolted the bumper on first, without the winch.
- attached my Hawse fairlead next
- then ran the unspooled winch line end (the one that attaches to the drum) thru the front of the fairlead and bumper back to the winch on the floor of the garage
- attach the winch line to winch drum
- place winch in bumper and pull winch line slack thru, do a test fit to see if the two rear bolt holes line up
- if holes do not line up, decide if you are going to trim the bumper to enlarge the area where winch will fit, or if you can do like me and grind with a flapper wheel just a little from the winch case.
- this may take a few mock ups of the winch in the bumper before you get it to fit just right

In my photo, look at the lower left corner of where the winch meets the top edge of the bumper recess( near the left side of the stinger). You should see a bright, reflective Strip about 3-4" long and 1" thick to the left of where the chrome control knob for air or winch is located. This is the area I ground flat to allow winch to slip in to the recess

I too have heard of a few people who've need to do that as well. I had left over spacers from another bumper and used them to help give a bit more room between the frame mounts and the bumper on Rubicat. Moby just worked.

Alright well grinding the case did the trick :thumb: All I have to say is thats a snug fit, hahaha.

Pulling the grille off gave me a bunch of room to set the winch in and test fit the holes but without grinding something down they would line up.

Thanks again for the tips...I am glad thats over with :yep:

GCM 2

Alright well grinding the case did the trick :thumb: All I have to say is thats a snug fit, hahaha.

Pulling the grille off gave me a bunch of room to set the winch in and test fit the holes but without grinding something down they would line up.

Thanks again for the tips...I am glad thats over with :yep:

Very cool! Glad that was the fix, hope it was easy enough for you too :thumb:

What type of winch did you go with? Do you have any of it?

Ya I went with the Warn Powerplant. Here are some pics post install (and snow run)

Drivers Side
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364256354.083090.jpg

Passenger Side
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364256373.815996.jpg

Straight On
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364256395.915609.jpg

Left side of winch, you can see where I had to grind down the winch case (I shot it with some flat black paint afterward)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364256427.467175.jpg

Top view, you can see how snug the winch is front to back.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364256512.616171.jpg

Here is a shot showing how close to the grille it is. It's not touching but man it's close
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364256646.434426.jpg

StrizzyChris

Here is a shot showing how close to the grille it is. It's not touching but man it's close
View attachment 21246

I just installed my Warn 9.5ti on my EVO 1/4 pounder and didnt have any clearance issues with the bumper itself....BUT I thought I would do the install with my grill of, to prevent damage. I then found out there is not enough clearance to put the grill back on! So I had to loosen all the bolts and tilt the winch forward. Just about .25" clearance from the grill just like you.

If you haven't already done so, remove your front grill and try installing the winch after the bumper is on. It's a tight fit but, you'll have a lot more working room with the grill off.

How does everyone remove their grill after their winch is installed? Loosen the winch every time?

jmeredith

how did everyone get the lower clips of the grill back in? I ended up cutting mine off, leaving the outer 2 near the headlights and trimmed the alignment pin in the center... the powerplant is a tight squeeze to say the least...

-J

how did everyone get the lower clips of the grill back in? I ended up cutting mine off, leaving the outer 2 near the headlights and trimmed the alignment pin in the center... the powerplant is a tight squeeze to say the least...

-J

I put the grill back on before putting winch in final time.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I just installed my Warn 9.5ti on my EVO 1/4 pounder and didnt have any clearance issues with the bumper itself....BUT I thought I would do the install with my grill of, to prevent damage. I then found out there is not enough clearance to put the grill back on! So I had to loosen all the bolts and tilt the winch forward. Just about .25" clearance from the grill just like you.

How does everyone remove their grill after their winch is installed? Loosen the winch every time?

I unbolt the winch and move it out of the way

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I think I'd unbolt the bumper before I did the winch. At least that's what I plan on doing when I paint my grill. Both equally inconvenient.

The newer 1/4 pounders have access to the winch bolts making it easy

Top Bottom