Great trails in colorado?

Otzy

Hey guys,

what are your favorite trails in colorado? im looking forward to going stateside in 2 months and i cant wait to hit the trails.

Personally my inspiration to get a jeep is the mt. blanca trail going up to lake komo. got wrecked trying to go up that thing in my cherokee, but loved seeing the wranglers crawl up it.

also how decked out of a rig would i need for em?

CerOf

I love the scenery of the Ouray area. A stock jeep can do them all pretty much except for phoughkeepsie gulch.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Rockdude

Are you looking to stay in one area or travel around a little bit? If stay in one area Ouray is probably one of the best for scenery and off roading. There are plenty of trails from easy to difficult. I would agree with CerOf, I have done most of the trails in that area in a stock Grand Cherokee, have not made it over there yet with my JK. Also look over toward Buena Vista, CO there are some great trails out there that can be done in a stock JK. There are some more difficult trails in that area too that require modifications. Another area I enjoy are the group of trails between Breckenridge, CO and Keystone, CO. There are some nice views and fun trails in that area as well. Most trails in that area can be done in a stock JK depending on skill level however would be easier with a small lift. Kind of depends on what you are looking for. If to stay in one place I would recommend Ouray if not kind of search around but I would recommend the Buena Vista area along with the other one I mentioned.

Probably my favorite area would be near Fairplay, CO. Wheeler Lake, Mt. Bross and Mosquito Pass are my favorite trails that I do yearly.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Hey guys,

what are your favorite trails in colorado? im looking forward to going stateside in 2 months and i cant wait to hit the trails.

Personally my inspiration to get a jeep is the mt. blanca trail going up to lake komo. got wrecked trying to go up that thing in my cherokee, but loved seeing the wranglers crawl up it.

also how decked out of a rig would i need for em?

I love wheelin in colorado. There are a lot of trails in the southern part of colorado in Ouray, Silverton area. Nothing too challenging, just a lot of really scenic stuff. Imogene pass and Black bear pass are two of my favorites. Engineer pass is fun too. Stock jeep can do both. Poughkeepsie is another one of my favorites. There's only one tough spot called "the wall" but I did it in my JKU X with a budget boost and stock rubicon tires. When it's rainy, it's a totally different ball game. Last year we ran poughkeepsie in the rain and it was very hairy in a few parts. Mt Blanca is also more challenging but seems you know what that's like.
Recently we also took a trip to the Great Sand Dunes, also in so Col. Fantastic scenery and a mild, scenic trail Medano pass.

Here are some pics of recent years:

colorado.jpg

colorado-2.jpg

Tight switchbacks along Black Bear Pass
colorado-4.jpg

colorado-3.jpg

Scenic Bridal Veil Falls:
colorado-5.jpg

Jeeps in the Mist, Imogene Pass:
colorado-6.jpg

colorado-7.jpg

There's also a fantastic rum bar in silverton if you like rum:

colorado-9.jpg

colorado-10.jpg

Otzy

thanks for the advice guys! sounds like ill definitely have to hit up ouray.

Im looking to travel and go all over a lot, wanna spend as much time camping as i can this summer, so as soon as i get 3 inches some 35s and a winch im hitting up the mountains for some fishing and climbing haha, and 4 wheeling on the way.

and nm, those are some beautiful pictures, absolutely stunning!

PackersJeep

You can also check out traildamage.com to see how different trails are rated, and even watch some videos of some of them. Might be helpful in planning a trip to hit as many trails as you can while you're here. I'd recommend trying to hit some in the Colorado Springs area such as Saran Wrap, Eagle Rock and China Wall. You can also check out funtreks.com to get some guide books including GPS way points to help navigate.

Rockdude

Traildamage is an awesome website for general info, pics and videos of the more popular roads in Colorado. Of course there are plenty more that are not listed and in my opinion trail descriptions not very detailed. Definitely a good starting point. I use that website often. The maps of the trail routes usually fairly detailed too.

MTNBKR

Check out Devils Punch Bowl from Marble to Crested Butte. Beautiful trip with camping and fishing along the way. Can be run either way..

Rockdude

Pearl pass is also in that area and awesome road and views. I usually make that a loop trip via devils punch bowl then back over pearl pass. Best to do in two days unless you want a very long day. Both can be done in stock rubicons did that last summer in my stock. Can post pics later.

highwayman

The Alpine Loop

My favorite is the Alpine Loop from Silverton over Engineers pass around to Lake City then back to Silverton via Cinnamon pass.

Meon2wheels

I've only been to Ouray/Telluride but can say if you've never been there, it's a "must do!". Here is a link of me on Imogene Pass. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LVVA7n02AMk. I'd go back in a minute! Also open to exploring new areas although its 1500 miles to get there. :( the Alpine Loop is easy but very scenic. Yankee Boy Basin is also a great afternoon ride.

Prime8

Watch the 2011 JK Experience footage on Project JK and buy one of the several trail guide books. Not living out there, that's how I'd plan a trip. Well, that and make a thread asking for input... Haha :)

Top Bottom