Jeeping decisions

okjeep

My wife and I have a keep or two input life for the last 25 years. Our current jeep is a built yj that takes us everywhere from easier trails to hardcore yet bult to drive and enjoy everyday. I have been bitten by the jk bug and wanted to ask others what they transition was like, good and bad.

To transition to a jk, she's agreed to a 4door with a ls v8/automatic/atlas, one ton axles, and 35's but is stuck on mango tango and maybe the desert tan. She's even close to allowing me to rape the yj and build the jk with those parts. Will be looking into retubing the prorock and crd 60s for the additional width (her idea) for a complete drivetrain transplant.

Maybe a little more early times whiskey and some divine intervention!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Keep the YJ for hardcore wheeling and build a moderate JK. No need for one tons if your only going to run 35's. Just get a rubi and put some gussets on the front axle and that will be good enough.

wow! lookin to go big! if you are looking at an LS and 1tons, might as well go 37s or 40s though. but if you stay at 35s no need for the bigger motor or 1tons. maybe do that and throw on some 12" bolt on coil overz and you will be good!

andrew -

okjeep

It will likely end up on 37's my stretched cj/yj was a bear on 35's and became a much better rig on 37's. my wife on the other hand....commented on the 37's every time she got in and out of the jeep! To build one to replace our jeep now will need the same or more power and reliability.

Holeshot

Banned
Like WOL said, if you plan in running not higher than 35's, pick a rubi, gusset the front axle, if you can, get one with the 3,6. Not comparable to a V8, but its a good v6! I love mine and I'm pretty sure everybody who has one loves it too.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
i didn't see a WOL post? If you are going upgrade to a v-8 then you obviously know what you are talking about when you say you want to upgrade the axles. The rubicon axles won't do it. Sounds like it's gonna be fun but in my opinion 35"s doesn't match the rest of your build ... i'd go 40"s!

StrizzyChris

im 5th in line of saying this...but with the new 3.6L V6 in the 2012+ jeeps you wont need much at all to run 35's. Im currently running them and the only changes I needed to make was cut my fenders, gusset my inner C-knuckles and 4.10 axle ratio option from dealership. I'll be lifting it, but 35's and even 37's, with basic mods, easily fit under a JKU. Going 40's and you'll be talking all the upgrades that you're mentioning.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
im 5th in line of sayinbg this...but with the new 3.8L V6 in the 2012+ jeeps you wont need much at all to run 35's. Im currently running them and the only changes I needed to make was Cut my fenders and gusset my inner C-knuckles and 4.10 axle ratio option from dealership. I'll be lifting it, but 35's and even 37's, with basic mods, easily fit under a JKU. Going 40's and you'll be talking all the upgrades that you're mentioning.

My 2012 came with a 3.6L I don't know why yours came with a 3.8L but you got ripped off.:crazyeyes:

okjeep

I have lined out the effort to move our current 5.3/4L60e/atlas to the future jk and down to getting the costs to change out the axles from the yj. Researching housing changes to either retube and install jk brackets and working out the speed sensor details or just new housings.

I agree that the 3.8 is a much better motor but i can find an older jeep that i can build how i want it. Also, once you taste horsepower, there isn't a substitute!

Top Bottom