control arms questions

no1important

if i am getting controls arms in an effort to restore the castor angle on my jeep. i was going to get just the lower ones. but after reading the WOL right up it appears i am wrong. if any one can help me out on which one or both do i need that would be a huge help.

jeeeep

Hooked
don't know how much lift you have etc...hope this helps:

The upper rear arms are used to adjust the pinion angle of the rear axle when you add an aftermarket driveshaft:

The lower rear arms are used to lengthen your wheel base that is lost when you lift your rig.

The front lower arms are used to either regain lost wheel base from a lift or to adjust the angle of the front axle for correct caster alignment, or both.

The front upper arms are used to adjust the angle of the front axle for correct caster alignment specs if the front lower arms were used to regain wheel base.

no1important

okay thats fine im trying to just get the lowers how would i get the caster back with just lowers. just lengthen them? i wunna get that stock feeling back from the steering

i have a 3 inch lift with 35s

rovingshoe

okay thats fine im trying to just get the lowers how would i get the caster back with just lowers. just lengthen them? i wunna get that stock feeling back from the steering

I have about a 4-inch lift on my JKU with 35s. I recently replaced (10K miles ago) my front LOWER control arm to adjust the caster. I read that both the UPPER and LOWER could be swapped out, but the lower is just easier to get at, so I went that route.

It made a significant difference in the vehicle tracking after hitting a bump in the road. :clap2: I went with the JKS brand and have been happy so far. I would highly recommend it.

rinkishjk

U will want to get just lowers if your only getting 2 arms, and lengthen them to add more caster. I would also loosen your axle side upper arm bolts, and re tighten them after u set your caster so u don't bind the bushings up in the upper arms when the axle rotates.

Rock-itman

AEV Makes a set of brackets that will make you feel not only stock but better . They are their Geometry correction brackets !! Look them up and read the faqs , this is all posted from the chrysler engineers themselves . Ive used them on my 07 jk and on my newer 12 JKUR Now i have no nose dive or roll ,the best 100 $ You could spend . Then you can keep the stock arms which are pretty strong , and if something breaks or bends they are a dime a dozen to replace . :twocents: Also i am runnig 4.5" w/ 37's and it drives better than it did stock !!:clap2:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
AEV Makes a set of brackets that will make you feel not only stock but better . They are their Geometry correction brackets !! Look them up and read the faqs , this is all posted from the chrysler engineers themselves . Ive used them on my 07 jk and on my newer 12 JKUR Now i have no nose dive or roll ,the best 100 $ You could spend . Then you can keep the stock arms which are pretty strong , and if something breaks or bends they are a dime a dozen to replace . :twocents: Also i am runnig 4.5" w/ 37's and it drives better than it did stock !!:clap2:

I disagree. Yes they do make geometry correction brackets but I can tell you that wheeling stock (what I did) my control arm brackets got smashed. I would not want to see what those relocation brackets look like after ones day on the trail.:shock:

StrizzyChris

I disagree. Yes they do make geometry correction brackets but I can tell you that wheeling stock (what I did) my control arm brackets got smashed. I would not want to see what those relocation brackets look like after ones day on the trail.:shock:

x2. If you are not planning on hitting these on anything or binding them up, then they will work for basic on road use and light wheeling. But I have seen these destroyed after mild offroading and contact with rocks/ground. They also, by the whole design of them, drop the brackets down and creates a new point to hang up on rocks.

I am not bashing these(just to be clear) just dont want the OP to buy these thinking they are rock solid. A few pics below show how they are just two plates with sleeves and bolts between them.

b44ce221.jpg.html

images

DSCF0984_small.jpg

no1important

Yea i have been debating on going with the brackets or lower controls arms. i wouldn't mind doing the brackets because i don't get to serious when wheeling but at the same time i built it to use it and whenever i find the chance to i would like it to flex and move like it supposed to if the geometry can be fixed with just lower control arms i will probably go that route i want to get this done and get it better but its not a pavement princess and i want it to work and to work well.

Rock-itman

Yea i have been debating on going with the brackets or lower controls arms. i wouldn't mind doing the brackets because i don't get to serious when wheeling but at the same time i built it to use it and whenever i find the chance to i would like it to flex and move like it supposed to if the geometry can be fixed with just lower control arms i will probably go that route i want to get this done and get it better but its not a pavement princess and i want it to work and to work well.

One of my offroading partners just ponied up about 1200$ to try the metalcloak ACA's all around thinking he could then get the ride back he had when it was stock ,(By adjusting them) but NADA didnt happen . So last week he put his GC brackets back on and got his great ride back . He was really amazed at the diff w/ the brackets than w/ out . Thats all i'll say here . Theese newer brackets are alot heavier than previous and dont hang any lower than the Arms themselves. For 100 $ you can always try them for yourself and notice the difference . I have !!! DSC_0376.jpg

no1important

I think i am going to do the brackets because its mostly a daily driver. thank you for your input. if in the event that they fail or dont provide the results i will get the lower control arms. thanks alot guys really appreciate all the feed back

Rock-itman

I think i am going to do the brackets because its mostly a daily driver. thank you for your input. if in the event that they fail or dont provide the results i will get the lower control arms. thanks alot guys really appreciate all the feed back

Let us know if you have any issues please !! Tell me how you like the ride and feel . Goodluck :thumb:

Top Bottom