Can somebody please tell me where this noise may be coming from!?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGfi4goovs&feature=youtu.be

I noticed this a few weeks ago. when it warms up its not as loud and is followed with a constant squeak squeak squeak at higher speeds. It also only happens under a load. i had it up on jack stands, everything seemed to be normal? :thinking:

There are quite a few threads out here about strange noises coming from the tranny. Search using the word noise and you should get some good threads.

Tackerdown

Banned
There are quite a few threads out here about strange noises coming from the tranny. Search using the word noise and you should get some good threads.

He's done that for the past few days but came up empty handed. I told him to try and post on here thinking someone on here had to have heard that before.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubitron

Hey it's gotta be your front drive shaft cv joint toward the transfer making that noise!! I had the same problem!! Hope this helps!! Also put it in four wheel drive in some gravel and cut the wheels real hard left or right and see if it pops under stress!!

mtnbiker995

I have the exact same noise!! I've had it ever since I got my clutch worked on. I've put about 30,000 miles on it since then with no major problems as far as I know. (knock on wood):thumb:

EDIT: Mine has the exact same symptoms as well. . .Goes away once it's warmed up but it's still there when the engine is under load.

Last edited:

JTJK3.8

Ill have give that a try there did seem to be a little bit of play when we had it up on the stands but it's didn't seem to be comeing from the cv joint its self...

JTJK3.8

Could it be the front drive shaft, at the transfer case?? All my cv joints are good. I have 4" of lift and 35s. Should I replace the drive shaft either way?

Tackerdown

Banned
Could it be the front drive shaft, at the transfer case?? All my cv joints are good. I have 4" of lift and 35s. Should I replace the drive shaft either way?

Manual trans. And there is a bit of grease slung up on the jeep.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
if you think it's a drive shaft, you can remove them one at a time and drive it to see if the noise disappears

also sounds similar to something breaking loose in the catalytic converter, I had this happen and before without it throwing any codes. after some time I was able to replicate it just by revving it up in the driveway.

JTJK3.8

if you think it's a drive shaft, you can remove them one at a time and drive it to see if the noise disappears also sounds similar to something breaking loose in the catalytic converter, I had this happen and before without it throwing any codes. after some time I was able to replicate it just by revving it up in the driveway.
I guess I need to drop the rear I dropped the front before because while driving that's where it sounds like it is coming from. Mine only does it under a load between 2500 and 3500rpms

Could my ring and pinion be the culprit, i have have had my diff covers off. No shavings in my fluid or on the plugs. There doesn't seem to be any worn parts, the is some play when i twist the drive shaft about 3/16ths of an inch. the play is internal not drive shaft related.:banghead:

Last edited:
Top Bottom