Gray Fender Flares?

Overrox

So I had the problem that every TJ owner has with the fender flares turning gray. With 2 cans of Rust-O-Leum Bed Liner, some masking tape and newspaper, I was able to turn my ugly flares into a thing of beauty.

Before
1424.jpg

After
1430.jpg

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I painted everything, but left the back bumper grey to show how much of a difference it actually made. Obviously painting it after this pic. It looked bad..lol
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1364178903.727667.jpg

Paratroopers stay up longer!

naysjp

That is bad ass! Where do you buy that spray you used? I use penetrol which lasts a few months but this looks like it lasts longer.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
For what Overox used Walmart. For the Trim Black Napa. Or your favorite parts store. Trim Black is specifically designed for factory plastics. Its not shiny like that anymore, it flattened out a lot and looks like brand new factory plastic.

Overrox

With the bed liner, It was almost impossible to mess it up. When I was shooting it on it looked like it was going to be patchy. When it dries it is a perfect coat every time.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Im about to stirp the silver paint off mine, ill have to get some of that to put on them. Nice Job!

You dont need to strip them. Get a red scotch brite pad and scuff them. Just get the shiny off of the paint. Use a good cleaner and wipe them down good. Let them dry and spray. Bedliner you wont need an adhesion promoter, but I would do it any way. I prefer the paint I used though, its smoothe like factory and not shiny at all. I think befliner will give a weird texture, like sand paper. I am not sure though, I would not use bedliner on my wheels or fenders. (Personal choice)

billybob990

Alright ill give it a try, I was just going to strip them because the paint is peeling and I didn't make an uneven surface... I know its just going to get scratched but my ocd will kick in lol

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I hear ya. Just scuff, use an adhesion promoter and put on 3-4 good solid coats. It will even out. Use adhesion promoter (wait 10-15 mins) this will depend on how hot it is too. Basically let the promoter dry a bit, but not all the way. Do a light coat on your first pass and then go gradually heavier. Dont just go after it, it will run. If you get a run just tap the run to even it out ( dont smear the run). Your next coat will cover up the run as long as it wasnt huge. I had a couple, but you cant tell.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Sure. If you have any questions just ask. Have fun doing it. Its fun doing stuff like that on your own..

Tyler02

Hey Phillip just curious how long have you had the trim black on there and has the color faded any since you sprayed them?

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Its only been 2-3 wks. I went with trim black because my dad did a guys trim and bed caps on a ford truck a couple years ago. They still look damn good! At first my fenders were kindy shiny, after a couple days they flattened out nice. They look like brand new factory plastics.

Tyler02

Ok thanks I've tried the mothers back to black and it seems to only last a week or so. I'll give that stuff a try because my front bumper is faded really bad.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I tried Mothers and Wipe New. Mine were just to far gone. The other products will work, but they wash off. The Trim Black is paint, its not going anywhere. Just make sure you do good prep. Prep is key, even though mine were the factory non painted. I still went around with a surface cleaner and scotch brite pads and scrubbed them really good. The nasty that came off was pretty incredible. They were looking black again till they dried..lol.. Im probably doing my door handles next. That license plate holder is going in the trash, thing is ugly as sin anyway.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Oh, be sure to go back and wipe them with clean rags an surface cleaner. Get as much of the junk off. Dont need to scrub with rags, just a good wet rag and a solid wipe down. Then you should be G2G. Newspaper makes great masking paper too, I just happen to have real masking paper cause my dad does collision repair and boat repair.

Top Bottom