A few questions about jeeps.. Noobie here

UncommonKIBBLES

Alright so here is my story, First post here so hello everybody!
I currently own a 2010 Mustang premium that my parents bought for me, I want to trade it in for a newer JK Unlimited.
I currently live in Omaha Nebraska, but in about 4 years I am moving out to Avon/Edwards Colorado. In the mean time I take a week long trip every 6 months up there.
I want to get a Rubicon for all the goodies it comes with, I don't think I'm going to be doing any huge crawling soon because I live in NE and when the time comes to go to Colorado I will just stick to mild trails.
Mods would be bumpers, cosmetics- racks, rock rails, etc.
Tires and lift of course, here is where the questions come, I want 35" tires or bigger if possible. I hear things about d60's. I'm just confused really?

So I want to get into jeeps, Want to keep it long term(Forever hopefully), doing some mild off roading now, and mild rock crawling in a few years.
What do all you guys think?! get the Rubi, Dont?
any and all ideas would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

Alright so here is my story, First post here so hello everybody!

First of welcome to WAL! :standingwave:

I want to get a Rubicon for all the goodies it comes with, I don't think I'm going to be doing any huge crawling soon because I live in NE and when the time comes to go to Colorado I will just stick to mild trails.

A Rubi does come with all the goodies, by way of transfer case, axle ratio option of 4.10, sway bar disco, rock rails, BFG KM's, and lockers stock! This will get you through all you mentioned without a single mod and be under warranty from Jeep.

Mods would be bumpers, cosmetics- racks, rock rails, etc. Tires and lift of course

If you go with a non-rubi, you will probably want at least rear lockers installed later, youll probably want to regear from the stock 3.73 to 4.56 or 4.88 axle ratio(when you go 35's), manual sway disconnects, offroad tires, and some sort of sliders. all of this costs money and if you're having someone else do the work to install them, you'll be at the rubi cost and still not have all in-cab electronic disco and the transfer case.

I want 35" tires or bigger if possible. I hear things about d60's. I'm just confused really?

With 35's and a 2012+ JK you can run the stock D44 and be just fine. Absolutely no need to purchase a D60 if 35's are your goal. Just have C-Gussets installed ($60+install cost) and you may eventually want to upgrade to some chromo axle shafts(couple hundred) and youll be just fine! Im running 35's on my stock D44 and anticipate no problems at all!

StrizzyChris

P.S. I am saying all this from experience...I first bought a Sahara(which is the exact same Jeep, mechanically, as a sport) and sold it so I could get the new engine that was place in the Jeep in 2012. I knew that, for my uses, I would never get anything but a Rubi every again. UNLESS I plan an immediate D60 axle swap. Then I would ONLY buy a sport

JK1

Get the Rubi. You won't regret it.
X2 great place to start...if you were building a monster and was replacing everything then i would say just get a basic jeep.. the rubicon stock d44 will hold up just fine for 35's and with a little build up i have seen guys run 40's as long as you dont get to crazy on the trails

have fun :beer:

PS welcome to the forum

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
Welcome to WAYALIFE.:standing wave: You say its going to be a few years to build it up so I would def. get the Rubi. As for the d60 I'm thinking that might be a little soon with what your talking about.You can even run 35's with spacers and some trimming but you might want to consider a few thing first.

TheDuff

35's are fine on rubi d44 and if you opt for the 4.10s you won't even need to regear:) this is assuming 2012-2013 or a manual 2007-2011. If u end up with a auto 2007-2011 you'll be wanting to regear even with 33's (ask me how I know!). 37s become the grey area, you'll want to beef up the axle housing, either using a truss or sleeves. I've heard a few using the d44 with 4.10s with 37's on 2012-2013 and saying its not too bad. Although really a regear would be best and a pro rock 44 housing would be best as well.
You can't say you'll do just mild trails, the term mild changes drastically really fast, trust me;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheDuff

Really try to get the pentastar engine, its pretty awesome and the 5speed auto it comes with is far better than the 4speed from the 07-11. And in all honesty avoid the 2011 year as its an oddball setup, using the 3.8 with a different ecu and interior, it really limits what mods fit. There are no real programmers for the 2011 and most likely won't be any coming out for it:(

mn jk jeeper

get a rubi
I bought a 08 rubi used and pretty built up and im still finding stuff I need/want to do to it
so the modding fun never ends
I run 33s with my 08 auto 4.10 gears and have zero issues with acceleration and speed
the push button lockers and sway bar release Is the cats meow :D

most important thing to remember is its cheaper to build it once and always build it how you like it

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Really try to get the pentastar engine, its pretty awesome and the 5speed auto it comes with is far better than the 4speed from the 07-11. And in all honesty avoid the 2011 year as its an oddball setup, using the 3.8 with a different ecu and interior, it really limits what mods fit. There are no real programmers for the 2011 and most likely won't be any coming out for it:(

Yea what you said exactly. I have an 11 and my options are soooooo limited its not even funny. I want to upgrade my jeep so bad but want to wait till I can get a rubi and an earlier or later model year

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Since you are planning n keeping. The jeep as you put it forever I would recommend a 2011 or newer with low miles. I was able to get a 2011 with 14k miles on it and was eligible for Chryslers life time warranty for about $3,000. Yes it is a bit much at first but it is a bumper to bumper warranty. First time the computer has to be replaced it will pay for itself. JMHO

Welcome

UncommonKIBBLES

All work I would do myself, other than some crazy stuff like rebuilding the engine and such.
But like you guys said, If i do all the work myself to a sport I would be about the same price point for manual this and manual that, without a warranty. So i guess rubi it is if i can pull it off! i just dont like the thought of $300 a month for a few years! ugh..

I do like the thought of having all this great stuff with a warranty though, less headaches for me and less work but I do love modifying things to make them "my own" but i can still add things to the rubi to do that, such as tires, fender flares, small lift, bumpers, more goodies :)
Its kind of like the new gt500 mustang. 662 hp, goes 200 mph, only about 60k, and it has a WARRANTY? I know a few people that have 6,7,800 hp cars, but they put tens of thousands of dollars into them and once they break... well better put it up on the lift and get your tools ready :)

What is this lifetime warranty I hear? bumper to bumper lifetime?? I LIKE!

Can somebody send me a link of tell me how the jeep warranty's work? What warranty comes with it and can I extend it for more years? and what does it cover?
I've always been a ford guy but my sister just bought a new jeep liberty and that thing is really nice and she loves it! Before that she had a 2003 jeep liberty limited with the 3.7 in it. had absolutely no problems. changed brake rotors once and oil changes and whatnot and it had been a great vehicle!
So now i have some respect for jeep and want to be riding around in one :)

Thanks for all the quick responses everybody! Makes me want to join the Jeep community even more!

Top Bottom