Gladiator "Must Have" Options

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I get it, this is going to be totally subjective but I don't really care. Enough people have Gladiators now that I'm curious to hear which options you have and don't really use/need and which options you didn't get but wish that you had.

I'm going crazy shopping for a Gladiator right now. For the most part, I've decided I will either get a Mojave or a Rubicon. Around here, I can find one as low as about $49K and as high as about $62K. That's a pretty big swing related to "bells and whistles".

So, let's hear it. What are the "must have's" from the factory in your opinion.

CalSgt

Hooked
Not a JT but, my JLUR came with the keyless proximity entry and LED lights and I love both, it didn't come with the Axillary switches and I ended up adding them later. It cost me way more to add Mopar switches than the option costs on a new JT but still less than adding a switch pros or similar switch box.

ETA: I also got the steel bumper package which I loved but they didn't hold up and got replaced anyway. Rear got twisted and bashed in the body pinch seams.

ETA #2: Mine had the "Safety group" but most aftermarket bumpers didn't have provisions for the rear parking sensors so those went away when the rear bumper got trashed.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Definitely get:

Automatic trans.
Cold weather group.
Aux switches for sure.
I am very happy with the soft top.

Little things that I would definitely get but can be easily obtained afterwards or through the aftermarket:
All weather floor mats.
Bed liner.
Aftermarket tonneau cover (if you're going that direction).
Door sill scuff guards (aftermarket covers more imo than mopar). Painted area by sill is wider than the jk, easy to scratch/scuff.

Things I didn't get and have no regrets:
Bluetooth speaker.
Lockable under seat storage.
Inverter in bed (I installed my own with higher wattage).

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Thanks all, keep ‘em coming. It’s helpful to read everyone’s take.

Auto trans is a no brainer for me.

I’m up in the air about heated seats because I will likely put seat covers on the seats. Based on my experience with my JKUR’s, the factory heated seats don’t work very well through the seat covers. Covers with aftermarket heaters under them may win the day but I’m still undecided.

I’m a little up in the air about the Aux switches too. I will add a switch pro setup because the four factory switches is not enough for my needs. With that said, are the Aux switches a waste?

I’m definitely going with the decked system so I don’t need the tonneau cover. Kinda feel like I should still get the bed lined though (either factory or aftermarket).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I’m a little up in the air about the Aux switches too. I will add a switch pro setup because the four factory switches is not enough for my needs. With that said, are the Aux switches a waste?

On the gladiator, this is only a 300 dollar option and then the wiring is installed for you. Compared to other factory options, it's pretty cheap if your on the fence, IMO. I think if you don't get it, there's a cubby hole left there.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

highoctane

Caught the Bug

My JT Rubicon has every option except the dual tops (I have the hard top). Hard to decide which option I like the most. Having rented a JL Sahara while I was in Colorado for week that had the 7” nav, I’d say the 8.4” uconnect is up there on my favorites list. The 7” screen’s resolution doesn’t even compare. The maps and backup camera are much easier to read on the 8.4”. I’ve found the clarity hood enough to use the fwd facing trail camera to frequently spot myself up and over some of the steep hills/obstacles that put me in a position where I can’t see over the hood.

Aux switches are a nice option because there is so much wiring available for everything that I don’t even need an aftermarket switch panel. I have my cb, air compressor, and lights wired in and still have two switches left available.

My favorite on road comfort option is the adaptive cruise. In slow traffic it will come to a complete stop on it’s own for up to 5 seconds IIRC and resume driving with no interaction.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I really appreciate your take on the Nav difference. I haven’t used the 8.4, but I’m not thrilled with the Nav in my JKUR’s and would like the bigger screen. The 8.4 seems like a must to me.

Adaptive cruise is interesting. I actually don’t use cruise control in any of my vehicles, ever. I’ve made the trip to Tempe (about 11-12 hours) from Reno four times in the last two months and didn’t touch cruise control once.

I think you guys are selling me on the Aux switches.

Very few of the Gladiators around here come with the forward camera, but I was actually thinking I would like it and get use out of it. A lot of my off road driving is solo so the “spotter” could come in handy.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I really appreciate your take on the Nav difference. I haven’t used the 8.4, but I’m not thrilled with the Nav in my JKUR’s and would like the bigger screen. The 8.4 seems like a must to me.

Adaptive cruise is interesting. I actually don’t use cruise control in any of my vehicles, ever. I’ve made the trip to Tempe (about 11-12 hours) from Reno four times in the last two months and didn’t touch cruise control once.

Very few of the Gladiators around here come with the forward camera, but I was actually thinking I would like it and get use out of it. A lot of my off road driving is solo so the “spotter” could come in handy.

I don’t really use cruise much either but adaptive cruise is awesome in slow moving traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bullwinckle

Hooked

I went with this one. Behind the rear seat and ran 4 gauge cables to it.

View attachment 356545

Awesome that seems like a good option for the ARB fridge or whatever to run on it. One thing I was looking into was the Traeger ranger grill for camping. Would be nice to run that as well without a separate battery pack. Although I’m going to end up buying it anyway. Not sure I trust running it solely from the JT battery and added inverter. lol

Sorry Sharkey for the hijack on your post. I’m in the same boat as you on buying a JT.

Last edited:

Bullwinckle

Hooked

Yea the Aux switches seem like a damn good option even if you don’t use them all eventually they will get used. lol Easy hook up that’s what I was thinking on any lights ETC.

I agree on the front camera. When no ones there it will help out a bunch spotting your way around things or in tight parking lots. lol

WJCO

Meme King

I agree on the front camera. When no ones there it will help out a bunch spotting your way around things or in tight parking lots. lol

The camera is another item you can get aftermarket from ZAutomotive if you happen to pick a JT on a lot that doesn't have one (link below). It says it does require the 8.4 inch screen though and does require the Tazer also. I'd assume you'd get a Tazer anyways to modify speedometer for bigger tire size.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/jeep-gladiator-jt-front-camera/

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Awesome that seems like a good option for the ARB fridge or whatever to run on it. One thing I was looking into was the Traeger ranger grill for camping. Would be nice to run that as well without a separate battery pack. Although I’m going to end up buying it anyway. Not sure I trust running it solely from the JT battery and added inverter. lol

Sorry Sharkey for the hijack on your post. I’m in the same boat as you on buying a JT.

No worries at all. I’ve been thinking about the Ranger as well and need to figure out if my Goal Zero battery could handle the task.

Ddays

Hooked
Because you're going the seat cover route the heated seats option may sound un-needed, but don't forget you get the heated steering wheel with that package. I rarely use the seat heater in my JLU but I always use the heated steering wheel. Man I love that thing.

WJCO

Meme King
Because you're going the seat cover route the heated seats option may sound un-needed, but don't forget you get the heated steering wheel with that package. I rarely use the seat heater in my JLU but I always use the heated steering wheel. Man I love that thing.

True. I've had the doors off in the 30s wearing a sweatshirt and that heated steering wheel is a major blessing. It actually seems like I can extend the 'doors off' season because of that steering wheel.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
On my JLU sport I got very few options. I got the cold weather group, the 7” screen, and the LED package. The LED light upgrade is a really nice upgrade that I didn’t initially want. The cold weather group was a must for the wife. The heated seats are HOT and the steering wheel will melt your skin off. It’s an amazing feature for those cold mornings. The 7” screen is a good size but the 8.5 would be much better. Sadly being a sport model I could upgrade to that size screen.

Top Bottom