Lets see your Air - Inflation/Deflation devices

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I know there are many different varieties of Inflation/Deflation devices out there. They are scattered all over the forum but I thought it would be nice to have a single thread to have everyone post to about their tools for airing up and down on the trail.

1. What size tires are you running?
  2. Average deflate/inflate times for a single tire?
  3. What type of deflators do you use?
  4. What are the pros and cons of your deflators
  5. What type of onboard air system do you have
  6. What are a few pros and cons to your system?
  7. If you had to start from scratch would you choose the same setup?

I was running stock 32s

I had Smittybuilt deflators. They were hard to set all of them exactly the same and I had issues with the soft brass threads. In the end only one was worth a darn.The deflate times were kind of slow. Wouldn't suggest them or buy them again.

I used a 20lb CO2 bottle for airing up on the trail the first time I went out. It worked well for airing up and I could set the pressure pretty high for fast fills. It covered myself and another Jeeper with a slower system. It was a little inconvenient due to the limited places to strap it down good and I was a little uncomfortable with a high pressure tank in the Jeep with me. Over all I would say it was pretty good system for quick fills if you could solve the placement issues. When not in the Jeep I use it on my Kegarator :thumb:

I'm basically starting from scratch to put a permanent system in and hope to get ideas from this thread.

gyoe

I'm running 35's
Staun deflators, deflates in a few minutes from 30psi to 13psi
Q-Industries MV-50 air compressor, re-inflates tires in about 4 min per tire (I never timed them)

having the compressor is better cuz I only need to pay for it once, running a CO2 u constantly have to pay to fill it n get inspected.

I'm happy with my set up at this time, its great for what I do. I would do it again. but if I get to that point to where I need to change my set up then I will..

Tcdawg

37" MTR's

Currie deflator tool, takes about 2 minutes a tire, from 28 to 10
Pro: quick, accurate, you can be flexible with how much air you let out. Inexpensive for a quality piece.
Cons: you have to do each tire individually

Viair 300 portable. Takes about 5 minutes or so per tire from 10 back to 28
Pros: portable, always has air as long as you have a power source, relatively inexpensive for a quality piece
Cons: slow, will not pop out a busted bead, gets hot, will not run air tools

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
1. 35x12.5x17 Nitto's
2. Less then 1 minute to deflate (never timed it)/ 2 minutes per tire from 12PSI-28PSI
3. Currie EZ Deflator
4. Pros - Cheap, works well, small enough to carry with you
Cons - Have to stop deflating to check PSI
5. Viair 400H Compressor
6. Pros - Cheap, works well, fits under hood
Cons - Takes a little while to fill each tire, doesn't have constant duty cycle, small compressor
7. If funds were not an option I would get a powerplant hands down. Otherwise I am happy with what I have, I would just like a tank to go with the compressor to make fill ups faster.

Clark Collins

I am also using a Q Industries MV50 compressor and just have it fastened to base plate on one of the rear wheel housings in the back with Velcro so I can take it out if I want. I run 33s and haven't timed it, but it's no problem to air up all four. The unit does get very hot and I left it running one time in between tires and it popped the plastic hose (my bad):icon_crazy: Guage is way off, but for the price I think it's a good unit. Been using it for about 3 years.

Smitty-built deflators. They're OK, but don't shut off totally. I just leave them on until they slow way down. I've never been wheeling with anyone with a different brand so don't know if they all work that way or not. the price was right and they do the job.

I would probably go the same route again unless some other brand of deflator works better.

Top Bottom