Project-JK Fordyce Creek Trail Run 2011

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I don't know what would have possesed us to make this final banzai run of the summer especially being that we just got home from the 2011 JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run. But, Trail Bud's long time friend was already on his way out from Missouri and, we had already committed to joining them and so, 3 days after getting home from Colorado, we were packed up and heading back to Tahoe.

Our original plan was to do another Rubicon run but, after hearing about a big Yota run going on over the weekend, we decided to change things up at the last minute and do a run up Fordyce Creek. In all, we would be joined by McPuck86, his wife Lori, ramin, HONEY BADGER and Mel from Off Road Evolution. And, while we were originally going to make this an overnight trip, it ultimately ended up being a epic trip lasting well into the night. Anyway, here are some pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

After working out some minor issues with ramin's power steering (our first clue this would be a long day), we made our way to the Fordyce Creek staging area and aired down...
main.php

I guess we should have known it was going to be a long day after HONEY BADGER suffered a flat within a half mile of leaving the staging area...
main.php

On the move again and on our way to have some fun...
main.php

Working our way to the first real obstacle along the trail which is located at the Eagle Lakes turn off...
main.php

Bummer, about half way up the 2nd part of this obstacle, I lost my ARB compressor and had to make my way up an easier line...
main.php

HONEY BADGER working his way up...
main.php

McPuck86 following close behind...
main.php

ramin coming in hot...
main.php

As usual, Mel taking on a harder line...
main.php

After spending some time working on a cheater fix to my compressor, we started to make our way down down Sunrise Hill...
main.php

Before fording the first of 3 major water crossing, we stopped along the shores of Fordyce Creek with the hopes of getting a better idea of just how deep it really is. All reports suggested that it should be pretty shallow and, from what we could tell, they appeared to be right...
main.php

main.php

Oh, so we thought anyway - Here's an incab shot as we made our way across - YIKES!!
main.php

Mel took EVO1 straight through and not only sunk his 40" Nitto's under water but, had his son's feet sitting in about 4" under water on the floor pan...
main.php

Here you can see Trail Bud taking on a line more to the left but, still completely submerging his 40's and took on water...
main.php

Running only a set 35" Nitto's, HONEY BADGER was by far the shortest in our group and ended up diving into the water clear up to his headlights...
main.php

Taking on the most water in our group, water literally poured out the back doors as he made it to the other side...
main.php

Hoping it would be more shallow, McPuck86 heads out to the right....
main.php

And, finds out that it's even deeper there. Time to find them drain plugs...
main.php

Ahh, found them...
main.php

Everyone on the other side taking some time to drain some excess water and hang anything of importance to dry...
main.php

main.php

While our JK's were drying out, we decided to relax by the beautiful cool waters of Fordyce Creek...
main.php

main.php

Unlike the Rubicon, there are a lot of tightly planted trees on Fordyce Creek much like the Dusy. And, much like the Dusy, Moby Dick with his 88" wide stance had a hard time wiggling his way through them...
main.php

Here's Mel just narrowly squeezing EVO1 by...
main.php

In an effort to satisfy concerned enviromental groups, a new route was cut around a deep mud bog near the Carlisle Mine. This new route got dug out pretty good over the winter and has become challenging enough that the locals refer to it as Winch Hill #0.5. Here's a shot of Moby Dick making his way up and glad that we took the time to get the compressor working...
main.php

ramin getting ready to take it on...
main.php

HONEY BADGER charging his way up....
main.php

McPuck fighting his way up to the top...
main.php

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of it but, it was about here that Trail Bud's battery decided to die - COMPLETELY!! While he had been having problems with it keeping a decent charge for a while now, it now had no charge what so ever and because of it, he just couldn't keep his engine running. Fortuantely, we were running a dual battery setup and so, we were able to provide him with a donor. And with that, we were on the move again.

The whole length of Fordyce Creek is littered with challenging fun rock gardens like this....
main.php

main.php

main.php

Mel helping to spot McPuck86 through the rocks...
main.php

ramin starting his climb through...
main.php

WARNING: objects in photo are larger than they appear. Here's a shot looking up Winch Hill #1 and yes, it's every bit as tough, nasty and down right fun as people say it is....
main.php

About mid way through - can you spot lil' miss Tessa?
main.php

The final V-section - the hardest part of the hill...
main.php

Moby Dick working his way up the first part of the V-section near the top...
main.php

Mel's turn at it in EVO1...
main.php

main.php

Climbing the last ledge which you can see is taller than a 40" Nitto...
main.php

Trail Bud working his way up the lower end of the hill...
main.php

Struggling to get up and getting real close....
main.php

But, without a functioning LOW low gear in his Atlas, he has to winch the rest of the way up....
main.php

HONEY BADGER going up as high as he can to make this obstacle...
main.php

But, ends up needing to winch the rest of the way up....
main.php

McPuck86 giving it his all...
main.php

And, he clears it! Here you can see him hammering his way up to the top...
main.php

ramin working his way up the lower half of the hill....
main.php

Doing his best to crawl up the V-section...
main.php

Unable to do it, he winches his way to the top...
main.php

More pics from Fordyce Creek below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On the move again - Mel getting ready to make his way across the rushing waters of Fordyce Creek again...
main.php

main.php

Trail Bud's turn to enter the fridge waters...
main.php

main.php

HONEY BADGER slowing picking his way through looking for higher ground...
main.php

Ahhh, on the other side and relatively dry...
main.php

McPuck86 on his way...
main.php

Followed by ramin who managed to find a deeper spot to swallow his 37's...
main.php

While the plan was to set up camp on the other side of water crossing #2, we decided to press on and just finish up the trail. And, just as we were leaving this picture perfect campsite, HONEY BADGER called out on the CB to let us know that McPuck86 had a flat. If I didn't know any better, I would almost have to think that someone was trying to tell us something....
main.php

For those of you who've never been on Fordyce, all the hardest terrain pretty much resides along the last 3 miles of trail. And, thanks to our decision to not camp, we would end up wheeling late into the night...
main.php

With our Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's, Spyderlock wheels and super wide 40x15.50 tires, getting up and through the squeeze proved to be a bit too much for Moby and, we had to break out the winch....
main.php

main.php

With the exception of Mel, we decided to take everyone else up an easier line so that we could get back on the move again - man, was I ever happy to have my Truck-Lite headlights and spotlights for this run....
main.php

main.php

As if we needed another reminder that it was getting really really late, HONEY BADGER busted a bead coming up Winch Hill #4....
main.php

With the help of a jack and Trail Buds Powertank, we were up and running again...
main.php

But, just as we were pulling into the Excelsior Mine, Lori called out on the CB to let us know HONEY BADGER was on fire!! After rushing down to his JK with fire extinguishers in hand, we found it billowing with smoke and cover with fire retardant. After HONEY BAGER caught his breath, we opened up the hood to find the positive lead to his winch cable and several negative leads had fried....
main.php

Hoping that the damage wasn't too extensive, we decide to give his JK a jump to see if it starts and, as luck would have it, it did!! However, the battery was toast but, fortuantely us, ramin was also running a dual battery setup and so, he was able to provide HONEY BADGER with a donor too. Soon we were on the move again and on our way back to South Lake Tahoe a bit more than 2 hours away...
main.php

When all was said and done, we wouldn't be back until a bit past 4 AM - a hell of a long day on the trail but, it was truly a hell of a good time and one that I think we'll all remember for years to come!!

If you would like to see all the pics that we took on this run, simply click on the link below:

Project-JK Fordyce Creek Photo Gallery

I need to give a BIG thanks to Trail Bud and John for inviting us out on this crazy epic run. In spite of everything, we had an amazing time with you and everyone who joined us for this run.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Came across this thread and was reminded of one of the hardest days wheeling I have ever experienced! :yup: It was an adventure of epic proportions and a trail I hope to run again soon. There was a laundry list of damage and everyone literally limped home … and stories that will last a lifetime. :brows:

noroad

woww now thats a crazy day lol but looks like a great time in the woods, thanks for the pics!!

jkjurny

How much of a harder time did Honey Badger have on 35's going through the whole trail? Any major body damage? From what I see, the stock rubicon sliders aren't enough protection for the whole trail. Would the stock rubicon sliders be enough to get past water crossing #1 and then turn around from there? I hear there is a turn around path immediately after water crossing #1. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much of a harder time did Honey Badger have on 35's going through the whole trail?

Jeff is a good driver and he held his own just fine. That is not to say that anyone with 35's would get through without any trouble. In fact, I highly doubt that most could.

Any major body damage?

No. But then, we try to be very careful.

From what I see, the stock rubicon sliders aren't enough protection for the whole trail. Would the stock rubicon sliders be enough to get past water crossing #1 and then turn around from there? I hear there is a turn around path immediately after water crossing #1. Thanks!

They might be enough. I don't know of any turn around past water crossing 1. Not saying it isn't there, I just don't know of it. There is definitely an escape route further up but that's closer to Signal Peak - quite a ways off.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
This trail is no joke. Even if your rig is ready for it, skill and nerves of steel are also needed. Not to mention every spare part and tool you can carry along with a welder. On this run every Jeep sustained notable damage. If you run it, be prepared.
I can't wait to run it again!

jelliott076

This trail is no joke. Even if your rig is ready for it, skill and nerves of steel are also needed. Not to mention every spare part and tool you can carry along with a welder. On this run every Jeep sustained notable damage. If you run it, be prepared.
I can't wait to run it again!

I need to fix my current problems, but this looks fun as hell! I'd be down. Assuming my rig is ready.

Top Bottom