Re-center and dead center AEV ProCal

JethroJK

So in the basic front end alignment DIY Write-up it shows how to re-center your steering wheel using the adjustment on the drag link. The AEV ProCal module has a function to provide a dead center steering wheel indication. My question is can I do a re-center of my steering wheel using both of these at the same time or has anyone did the dead center using the AEV ProCal?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I didn't even know the procal did that. Shows how much of the directions I actually read. I got mine centered by using the drag link. It might be off a touch but I can't tell.

Yes it will do such things. as far as the reading the instructions, not sure it would help, those things are so UN-informative!

edit: you must still correct your geometry underneath though and not just use the ProCal, but you can use the together

Last edited:

Skirmish

I never got mine to work, no lights ever came on but you still need to adjust the length of the draglink to recenter. Get your wheels straight, set up the ProCal and turn the draglink adjustment till your lights tell you your steering wheel is straight.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Yes I just used mine but the only way to do it is if you have your wheels straight on an alignment machine. If not you can't get your wheels perfectly straight. With mine one blinker came on and when it was straight both came on.

JethroJK

Yes I just used mine but the only way to do it is if you have your wheels straight on an alignment machine. If not you can't get your wheels perfectly straight. With mine one blinker came on and when it was straight both came on.

So if it isn't on an alignment rack don't bother trying to use the ProCal?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Mine worked in the sense that both lights came on. However, I didn't think it was "dead center" and made further adjustments without it. I suppose it keeps you from having to get inside the jeep to see if it's straight, but a piece of tape on the steering wheel would do the same thing. This is not on a rack.

JethroJK

Mine worked in the sense that both lights came on. However, I didn't think it was "dead center" and made further adjustments without it. I suppose it keeps you from having to get inside the jeep to see if it's straight, but a piece of tape on the steering wheel would do the same thing. This is not on a rack.

Gotcha. Piece of tape. Didn't think about that. Thanks.

Skirmish

Once you drive it you can tell pretty quick how close you are. It doesn't have to be dead on but you will notice your steering wheel out of center when you drive straight down the road. Bring the tools to loosen the draglink and keep working it till you have it right. Drive, adjust and repeat as necessary.

rtguy1

^^^^^^this. Basically you end up centering the steering wheel to crooked tires without a rack. You cannot straighten the tires by eye. Without a rack u are better off adjusting, driving, adjusting, driving, etc

JethroJK

^^^^^^this. Basically you end up centering the steering wheel to crooked tires without a rack. You cannot straighten the tires by eye. Without a rack u are better off adjusting, driving, adjusting, driving, etc

Gotcha. That is the plan. Thanks

jeffj

Caught the Bug
rtguy1 said:

Exactly, without a rack trial and error is better than the procal.

Skirmish

The ProCal can help get you close if you don't have someone to watch the steering wheel. Even if you have someone to watch they may not be much of a help. Sometimes it can sound like a confused spotter. Driver, no the other driver, wait I mean passenger.

JethroJK

I didn't even know the procal did that. Shows how much of the directions I actually read. I got mine centered by using the drag link. It might be off a touch but I can't tell.

It doesn't say anything about it on the site but it was in the manual. Honestly mine is off just a little. I can hardly tell. Turns to passenger a little. I am going to use the drag link tomorrow to correct. Just finished putting in last piece of skid system. Time for some sleep now.

Top Bottom